Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry to France

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

I have just got a reasonable price for 4 passengers and Motorhome to France ( Rosslare / Cherbourg ) in July with Celtic link ferries, as I know nothing about this service does anyone recommend it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Lucky you i got a huge quote from them for the first three weeks of June for two people and a motorhome. Travelled with them before food excellent, Ferry a bit dated but it had all one needs. Also nice to chat with the truckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Their older ship (MV Diplomat) was small and practical, with very friendly staff, no shops/machines etc so it's handy to bring your own your own entertainment (DVD/laptop)
    They also have the Norman Voyager which is new, a far bigger ship with a lot more facilities on board.
    www.celticlinkferries.com for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rozi

for any pet owners, i got a decent price from celtic link , but they couldnt accomodate my dog bobbi , said they can only take dogs to france, but they are unable to bring them back,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Out of curiosity do they actually measure the length of your vehicle??...i am slightly over 7.5M and it would save me 120€ to say i was slightly under 7.5M.
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

what is a decent price anyway.. i'm quoted 1100, is that about standard?

• Advertisement

Actually i just measured my van and im under 7.5M.
    Any of the routes from Cork seem to have been expensive...around 1400, rosslare with celtic ferries though is 900.
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Celtic links old boat was basic but dated, I have never travelled the Voyager but it looks a lot fresher.
    They supply food onboard which is good but basic.
    With young kids the old MV Diplomat was a bit of a hassle, no play areas etc.
    The other thing with the Cherbourg landing is that it is quite a drive down from there to Brittany, Roscoff is much handier, although in a camper you will probably stop along the way.
    In Cherbourg the Cites de la Mer is a great spot to visit, just along from the ferryport and on the waterfront, it has aquariums, and lots of diving memorabilia from the 50's to now along with a decommissioned nuke sub!

Cheers CJ,
    Just out of curiosity...once yu park up on the boat is that it...no more access to your van?
    Cheers,
    MArty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheers CJ,
    Just out of curiosity...once yu park up on the boat is that it...no more access to your van?
    Cheers,
    MArty.
    Thats it for security reasons, once you leave the van you aren't allowed near it until you get in to drive off.
    The Brittany ferries vessel has kennels on board for your dog and you can visit it during the voyage if you leave it in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi
    I paid 600 for 2 weeks from end May to Mid June for 4 people with Irish Ferries from Rosslare to Roscoff, including cabin e/w

• Advertisement

Hi i booked with Irish Ferries 434 euro for two adults and a Motorhome, Rosslare - Cherbourg return for three weeks going out on the 1st June.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

The prices are really good up until mid June - then they more or less double.
    School hols blahdy blah. The ferry prices are on a par then between the companies. €99 euro for a room with bunks and a thin blanket ha ha makes ya wonder why we do it! Actually we often ask ourselves what in the name of God are we doing sitting out in the cold Irish weather beside our beloved campers while we are paying huge mortgages on our lovely homes :rolleyes:

You either love it or hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Lads, have ye considered ferry to UK then Seafrance Dover-Calais? Bit more driving but not bad. Have booked this route for July and saved nearly €1000 on the direct ireland -France routes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Hi Vinniem

I'm also going to try the UK route this year, about 800 - 900 euro difference mid June to early July. As we intend to travel down the eastern side of France to the south of France the mileage is about the same as going via Cherbourg and less than going via Roscoff. The price difference will cover the tolls and maybe a bottle or three of vino !

corkbuoy

Hello Corkbouy, glad u are thinking the same and saving yourself and family loads of money..who cares about 5/6 hrs driving across uk and infact have spent 24 hrs on a direct ferry a few years back as problems arose. Anyway let's hope more people strart doing this and maybe the big two will think of lowering their prices. By the way best of luck with your trip.

We went via the Uk twice last year. Its roughly 8 hours from Holyhead to Dover, with maybe two short stops. The traffic through the UK can be very bad, and the last thing you need is an accident on the Motorway to bring traffic to a crawl. All that said P&O nearly run 24/7 to Calais and will always put you on the next Ferry if you miss the one that you booked.

Hi All, while on this subject.. does anybody know of areas in Pembroke and Dover where a camper could be parked for a few hours (sleep) as ferries I have booked both dock late? Thanks

You can stay at the Maidstone service station in Kent, i think it was 10 sterling per night. We got our ticket at the coffee shop last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 danny50

Nice one Bessa! I'm booked after leaving cert in june with Stena €350 and i can book dover to calais for €95. Irish Ferries wanted 3 times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donaldo

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi All, while on this subject.. does anybody know of areas in Pembroke and Dover where a camper could be parked for a few hours (sleep) as ferries I have booked both dock late? Thanks

We parked last year on the waterfront in Dover, plenty of Campers there. There's also a big car park that takes campers. On the way back we parked in a service station about 20k from Pembroke. Again, there were a few lorries parked up there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement