Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernard Dunne retires: "it is time to face new challenges"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Not really Im glad he got out young.

I dont think anyone who saw it will forget the Cordoba fight, thats for damn sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

rovert wrote: »
    Not really Im glad he got out young.

I dont think anyone who saw it will forget the Cordoba fight, thats for damn sure.
    Definitely. It was like watching a completely different Bernard Dunne out there.

Personally, I'm shocked at this announcement. Even after the Cordoba fight, it was completely unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

wayne mccullogh versus bernard ufc paddy's day is my recommendation

wayne is part of the ufc world at the moment and apparently does a bit of training. bernard has showed great attitude to new training methods so potentially would be interested.

i don't think bernard does it for money so probably can't be bought but if he was interested in the challenge

obviously there is no SBW/FW class in ufc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

wayne mccullogh versus bernard ufc paddy's day is my recommendation

wayne is part of the ufc world at the moment and apparently does a bit of training. bernard has showed great attitude to new training methods so potentially would be interested.

i don't think bernard does it for money so probably can't be bought but if he was interested in the challenge

obviously there is no SBW/FW class in ufc

He would have to fight in WEC if he did switch to MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

AARRRGH wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2010/0219/dunneb.html

Who else would love if this guy went into MMA?

He's 30 and rich. With 2 or 3 years intensive MMA training he could be a very dangerous man.

he's got no chin, he doesnt have a knock out punch, with no background in wrestling, grappling etc I really dont see how he could be dangerous?

having said that, I have been a big fan of Dunne over his career, sorry to see him go, but feel he made a good decision, he left a good legacy and probably has a career in media, nevermind MMA :P

• Advertisement

AARRRGH wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2010/0219/dunneb.html

Who else would love if this guy went into MMA?

He's 30 and rich. With 2 or 3 years intensive MMA training he could be a very dangerous man.

I doubt he is rich either, he lives in a suburban semi-d and drives a skoda if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

deepriver wrote: »
    I doubt he is rich either, he lives in a suburban semi-d and drives a skoda if I remember correctly

Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

he's trained to work as a fireman too isn't he? he's certainly not wealthy enough to never work again, according to the late late he's going to try and do some ambassador work for the sport and write an autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I'd say he has enough for a comfortable life, I think he got out of the sport for his kids etc so doubt he would want to go into mma, plus he's super bantomweight.

Great record though, 28-2, 15 ko's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I dont think Bernard would be really suited to mma. Smart move getting out of boxing while he is still healthy though, I hope everything works out for him in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

WAR Bernard "you're gonna be" Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i hope he doesn't get into MMA, or if he does then he trains for a good few years, if not he's likely to get his arm/leg snapped in half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

I would wish Bernard all the best for wotever challenges he is gonna undertake:) The guy has an impressive record (albeit lady luck seemed to favour him at times imo!!!) he did us proud!

This guy headlined many many cards at the Point to packed houses who wudnt want to see him in mma. He is a true sportsman and there is no way I would think he is gonna start mma immediately. The dedication this man had to his sport seen him travel to the North to be trained at Holy Trinity!!!

Bernard has always supported mma and trained with Stevie prior to UFC.

Its not a decision I think he will not take lightly and whoever he decides to train with please please please do not let some promotion headline him on his debut as their main event it cud all go wrong:eek:

Urs
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As he said on the late show he got out while he could still say his name.

There is a list as long as my arm in either boxing or mma of guy's who should have hung up the gloves long before they did.

Boxing also seems to be a much more unforgiving sport interms of suffering a defeat at the top doesn't it.

I say good luck to the lad in what ever he does. Maybe RTé should get him in to replace Jimmy McGee and let Jimmy out to pasture like they should have done years ago but thats another thread I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Bernard is 8 stone soaking wet. He's a crafty boxer, but his style wouldn't translate well to MMA. he doesn't have alot of power, is usually picks people apart over a number of rounds.

He should stay away from combat sports now, and focus on writing or a career with the RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

dlofnep wrote: »
    Bernard is 8 stone soaking wet. He's a crafty boxer, but his style wouldn't translate well to MMA. he doesn't have alot of power, is usually picks people apart over a number of rounds.

He should stay away from combat sports now, and focus on writing or a career with the RTE.

Boxing is good for MMA but not any old boxer, without the power to make your boxing work to stop opponents just walking in to clinch with you then you have nothing, his footwork and skill would be a good start if he had power but he does'nt, not too a KO level anyway

plus MMA is much more than 1 good style now, wheter its BJJ, Boxing, Thai etc and he would at least need average wrestling skills to make any impact on MMA, plus his reasons for leaving the fight game would be the same reasons for not getting into MMA.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

calex71 wrote: »
    As he said on the late show he got out while he could still say his name.

There is a list as long as my arm in either boxing or mma of guy's who should have hung up the gloves long before they did.

Boxing also seems to be a much more unforgiving sport interms of suffering a defeat at the top doesn't it.

I say good luck to the lad in what ever he does. Maybe RTé should get him in to replace Jimmy McGee and let Jimmy out to pasture like they should have done years ago but thats another thread I guess :D

I agree his timing was good to quit, hard decision. I also meant to say his chin was questionable in a couple of his last fights. He showed good heart to go the distance in a number of other fights that he was close to KO'd in

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

calex71 wrote: »
    Maybe RTé should get him in to replace Jimmy McGee and let Jimmy out to pasture like they should have done years ago but thats another thread I guess :D

Oh please :D I fcukin hate him commentating on any sport he's a complete tool!

sonic.trip wrote: »

Bernard is a great commentator and has lots of knowledge, your personal dislike or jealousy of him does not change that, typical irish mentality hating on success stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Although I'm not his biggest fan I respect the fact that he got out while he was still able to and relatively healthy. RTE will probably have a job for him if he want's it.

As for MMA I'd say even he knows its not a good idea to be getting into when he is 30 and has little training other than boxing (as far as I know.) It's not like he's a Brock-esqe athlete. MMA seems to be reaching a point where young guys who are coming through are more well rounded than ever before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

sonic.trip wrote: »
    cowzerp wrote: »
    Bernard is a great commentator and has lots of knowledge, your personal dislike or jealousy of him does not change that, typical irish mentality hating on success stories.

I think you picked him up wrong there.
    He seems to be saying it as a "Yes Please, I hate Jimmy Magee commentating on any sport"

lafors wrote: »
    I think you picked him up wrong there.
    He seems to be saying it as a "Yes Please, I hate Jimmy Magee commentating on any sport"

if so i agree, i like magee as he's a nice man but his commentary is terrible, only there too suit the owl ones who are watching..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

this useless bag of piss would get killed in the cage. just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

evil_seed wrote: »

Useless bag of piss?

How many world titles do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

cowzerp wrote: »
    Boxing is good for MMA but not any old boxer, without the power to make your boxing work to stop opponents just walking in to clinch with you then you have nothing, his footwork and skill would be a good start if he had power but he does'nt, not too a KO level anyway

plus MMA is much more than 1 good style now, wheter its BJJ, Boxing, Thai etc and he would at least need average wrestling skills to make any impact on MMA, plus his reasons for leaving the fight game would be the same reasons for not getting into MMA.

As a boxer and MMA fighter could I ask you something?

Bernard weighs 122lbs in his boxing weight division. If he was to gain 20 lbs of muscle and then cut 7 lbs to 135 lbs which is MMA's bantamweight division in the WEC would he punch harder with the extra muscle? Also would the 4 oz MMA gloves not add to his punching power?

If so he would have more bang in his punches if he were to take up MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

evil_seed wrote: »

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. :rolleyes:

Advertisement