Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car advice

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hi Im a 19yo male with a full driving licence for 3 months now.Ive been driving my dads car for 7/8 months and want to buy my first car.I have a couple of grand put away over the past few years from part time work and Im ready to buy.I live in town so Im looking at small runarounds to get me to college,work(both in town) etc.What does everyone think about "hot hatches" like clios,106s,fiestas,saxos,startlets..etc.Of course these would be easier on insurance,petrol.Im open to any car really,not just small 1 ltrs.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Comments

They are not hot hatches in 1 litre form :) A fiesta 1.25 would be a great starter car. A polo or Ibiza would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

RoverJames wrote: »
    They are not hot hatches in 1 litre form :) A fiesta 1.25 would be a great starter car. A polo or Ibiza would be good too.
    What do you think of Saxos?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good vid on how to buy a second hand car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Saxo is a tin can on wheels, most are pretty basic and the driving position is weird - same goes for the Peugeot 106 (basically the same car). Both are very cheap these days, and would be cheap enough to run assuming not too much goes wrong. You'd be better off with a Fiesta, Clio, or Ibiza (or Yaris if you could afford one).

I don't know what you meant about "hot hatches", you won't get insurance for anything remotely powerful.
    I have a couple of grand put away over the past few years from part time work and Im ready to buy.

You may need a couple of grand just for insurance! Have you got any quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭debbie123

i'm not going to tar them all with the one brush but i have a 00 fiat seicento given me nothin but trouble battery went heater gone makes weird noises rough on the road noisy light steering . . . wouldnt advise one they might be cheap but believe me they wont make you cheerful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

debbie123 wrote: »
    i have a 00 fiat seicento given me nothin but trouble battery went...

Can't say about the other problems but you can't blame the car for the battery going, batteries don't last forever and many didn't survive this winter (especially cheap ones).

What do you think of Saxos?

I'd agree with Zilog Jones, they are very frugal though, you'll knock 40mpg from one easily, very light car though. Awful yokes when you have 3 passengers in them. Polo, Fiesta are a different class (even though they are the same class really, ish)

Advertisement