Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing my computer remotely?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi There,

I'm pretty basic at this stuff but I've been trying to set up a VNC program on my Computer at home in Cork so that I can use it during the week when I'm in Dublin. Problem is my broadband in Cork is over satellite and it appears to have a funny (to me) IP configuration. The router is set to static and the internet ip address is set to 192.168.87.*. The gateway is set to 192.168.87.1. The static DNS 1 is set to 84.203.255.*. My IP address (when I ask in Google is 84.203.235.*.) I have a suspicion that this IP address is shared by a number of households and the Internet IP address as in my router is my section of that? I'm not sure to be honest but is there anyway I can set up a VNC service (and other things like remote administration of the router and FTP service etc) with the current set up I have. The Broadband is with Amacom (who I think have been taken over by Digiweb).

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I use logmein for remote access, very simple and I can do everything I need on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have a look at THIS post & see if it helps any.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Signup for Microsoft Live mesh, install the small bit of software on your PC and you can login from anywhere. Very easy and requires no config, also provides a useful data backup aspect.

Advertisement