Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help idenifying some Genesis games!

Options
  • 19-02-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. So I need some help identifying some games I played when I was a kid on the Sega Genesis(Mega Drive). I have great memories of playing such games but as I have gotten older I can't remember for the life of me the names of said games, since I was only 5 years old (back in '96 or so)

1. The first thing I remember about the first game was you were a giant dinosaur or something of the like and you were rampaging around a city (scenary such as skyscrapers and the ocean were evident, IIRC). I remember there being military aircraft shooting at you and you could somehow take them from flight and crush them in your hands (or eat them, can't really remember). Also, I'm pretty damn sure I remember fighting other monsters, against the computer and also via two player

2. The second game was some sort of Shmup style game. I recall playing as a helicopter but instead of moving vertically up the screen you moved from left to right horizontally. I remember picking up crates and the like, again, my memory is fady on this

3. the third game I remember was a platform game, were you play as a thing which resembled a piece of fruit?(at least how I remember it). That's all I can remember about said game, I know it's not a lot to go on

4. 4th game was some form of racing game where you played as certain animals (I recall a turtle) and you had to mash buttons in succesion to move and dodge obstacles etc. I remember the finishing line having a set of traffic lights or something similar.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated, I just really want to find out these games I remember playing as a kid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,451 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The first game is King of the Monsters. It's a port of a Neo Geo game. I'll have a look at the rest a bit closer now ;)

Master of the Universe

When I read crates in the second one I instantly thought of the strike games. But am a little confused with what you mean from left to right. Do you mean it's a side scrolling shooter rather than a vertical shooter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I need a lot more to go on for number 3.

Second one could be Swiv? Either that or tiger heli.

4th one sounds like James Ponds Aquatic games and was a load of arse.

Master of the Universe

I'm rattling my brain for Megadrive platformers.

How about Fantastic Dizzy? He could kind of be a white egg shaped fruit..:D

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I would say there's more of a chace of it being a Strike game than Mega Swiv. That's uncommon enough. And I'm fairly sure Tiger Heli/Twin Cobra never had a PAL release...unless under a totally different name?

Edit / Did a bit of googling and -

'Twin Cobra was developed by GRC, published by Treco in Japan and by Sega in North America.'

Cant find anything about an EU release though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

o1s1n wrote: »
    The first game is King of the Monsters. It's a port of a Neo Geo game. I'll have a look at the rest a bit closer now ;)

Just checked it out, seems to be it! I could be wrong but I remember the monsters being a lot bigger and the music was a lot more fast paced and rock sounding. Although I could be wrong! Thanks so much!
    When I read crates in the second one I instantly thought of the strike games. But am a little confused with what you mean from left to right. Do you mean it's a side scrolling shooter rather than a vertical shooter?

Yeah, a side scrolling shooter. I remember the first level(or one of the levels) being in a desert type of scenario, and picking up/destroying crates etc.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'm sorry, I can't really remember more for number 3. I remember you played as a bulky kind of character who I always thought was a pear :P I remember getting stuck in a level with a fan or some sort of similar device, all I can recall, wish I knew more!

I checked out both of those games(Swiv and Tiger Heli) and it was none of either =[

Dead right, just checked it out and it was James Pond's Sports or something. Thanks a million!

I'm rattling my brain for Megadrive platformers.

How about Fantastic Dizzy? He could kind of be a white egg shaped fruit..:D

Just checked it out and no, not it =[

I remember the guy having sort of greenish hair? I know it's all really vague but it's all I can recall guys!

Master of the Universe

Ramza wrote: »
    Just checked it out, seems to be it! I could be wrong but I remember the monsters being a lot bigger and the music was a lot more fast paced and rock sounding. Although I could be wrong! Thanks so much!

Maybe you were playing the Neo Geo arcade version instead?
    Yeah, a side scrolling shooter. I remember the first level(or one of the levels) being in a desert type of scenario, and picking up/destroying crates etc.

Okay picking up crates in a helicopter in a desert screams Desert Strike. You're messing me up with the side scrolling thing! :D

Master of the Universe

Man you have me stumped with this platformer one. How about Dynamite Headdy? His head kind of looks like a pear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

2. Desert Strike I would say.

3. Cool Spot perhaps?

4. Street Racer? Probably not.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Puggsy is another one that looks kind of Pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Okay picking up crates in a helicopter in a desert screams Desert Strike. You're messing me up with the side scrolling thing! :D

Choplifter was side scrolling. You picked up people though not crates plus I'm pretty sure it wasn't released on the Genesis/Megadrive.

The first game also sounds like Rampage but again that wasn't released on the Genesis.

Both were Master System games though.

Master of the Universe

Adyx wrote: »
    Choplifter was side scrolling. You picked up people though not crates plus I'm pretty sure it wasn't released on the Genesis/Megadrive.

The first game also sounds like Rampage but again that wasn't released on the Genesis.

Both were Master System games though.

The first game is 100% King of the Monsters. I have the Neo Geo version and know it's on the MD. ;)

Chop lifter wasn't released on the MD :(

Puggsy is another one that looks kind of Pear shaped.

YES! Just googled it, that was the one! Thanks a lot! Sorry about my really stupid description xD

And yes, King of the Monsters was indeed correct aswell!

@ Joe Musashi

The only game left to be identified is the helicopter/side scrolling shmup. I just looked at desert strike and no, that's no it. There was no 3d movement, you moved along a 2d pane etc. Thanks though!

Also, one more game I just remembered which needs an ID!

I remember playing as some sort of character(so much info, right? xD). It was a platform game and I remember one stage involved being shot out of cannons into nets. That's all I can recall!

Master of the Universe

YES! Just googled it, that was the one! Thanks a lot! Sorry about my really stupid description xD

!

What?! I actually got that right? From a platform game with fruit to an answer? HAH! ah man, that's hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would it have been Gunship. It was a rather poor mix of side scrolling helicopter and first person levels.

Maybe it was ****ty Thunderblade or a long shot, Steel empire?

Master of the Universe

It's the picking up crates that has me confused. I can't think of any side scrolling helicopter based shooters that you pick crates up in. It's not really something you see in that type of game.

Maybe you're mixing a couple of games up? Or are you 100% sure it's all the one game? Hmmm.

It's the picking up crates that has me confused. I can't think of any side scrolling helicopter based shooters that you pick crates up in. It's not really something you see in that type of game.

Maybe you're mixing a couple of games up? Or are you 100% sure it's all the one game? Hmmm.

I recall being able to suspend a long chain from the helicopter, for some reason. I remember the first stage had tanks in it, also it was in a desert type level, and it was a left to rght side scrolling shmup

@RetroGamer

None of the above were right, thanks though =]

Master of the Universe

Here's a list of every shooter made for the Megadrive, CD and 32X. Worth looking at. Although I've searched for anything similar to what you've described and nothing really fits.

http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=210&title=Genre%20Spotlight:%20Shmups%20Extravaganza

Nevermind, wasn't any of those games, I think I'll just forget that one :)

I have a few more games needing ID

1. I remember you were some guy with a sword or some sort of melee weapon. It was a side scrolling platform and hack n slash maybe. I remember the first level boss was a black panther or jaguar of sorts

2. The second one was a side scrolling beat em up like street of rage. I remember in one if the stages there was dudes shooting out of windows at you, I remember being able to hide behind pillars (I think)

Again any help is appreciated greatly :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Golden Axe 3 has a black panther like person thing in it and it fits your description. But it was a Japanese only release so I don't think you'd have had that!

The only game I can think of at the moment with people shooting out of windows is Robocop versus the Terminator.

Is the first one Chakan by any chance. Maybe Ex-Mutants?

The second one might be two crude dudes.

Was none of the above lads!

IIRC, the guy you played as had long black hair, and I think was half naked. I remember there being a staircase downstairs after beating the panther thing

The second one is almost defo sunset riders, you are just getting it all sorts of mixed up.

Master of the Universe

Was none of the above lads!

IIRC, the guy you played as had long black hair, and I think was half naked. I remember there being a staircase downstairs after beating the panther thing

Rastan Saga II?

Is the other one shadow of the beast or blades of vengeance?

It's sounding like Castlevania vampires kiss on the SNES :/

Nah, none of the above. I think I'm just being really vague about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

second one isint "Empire of Steel" is it?

Advertisement