Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attending Lectures

Options
  • 19-02-2010 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I was just wondering... can you attend a lecture in NUIG even though you're not from that university?
    I've attended lectures even when I was still in secondary school, because I knew they wouldn't notice, but is it actually OK, or would you get into trouble if you got cought?

some of my friends are telling me that anyone can attend lectures, but i dunno what to think...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

ILikePizza wrote: »
    I was just wondering... can you attend a lecture in NUIG even though you're not from that university?
    I've attended lectures even when I was still in secondary school, because I knew they wouldn't notice, but is it actually OK, or would you get into trouble if you got cought?

some of my friends are telling me that anyone can attend lectures, but i dunno what to think...:)

I'd think you'd be fine if it was in one of the big lecture halls, don't know why you would want to though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

You're not supposed to be anywhere in the University without a valid Student ID, so I imagine it's a no-no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jighooligan

Yeah but Id doubt theyd really care that much though I mean if its a big lecture there not gonna notice and its a far better way of gaining a bit of knowledge about the course compared to open days and the like.

Bigger classes probably wouldn't notice.

A French class with 15 students or second / third year classes where everyone knows each other probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

It's always funny how on exam days for big classes like maths and physics, you see people you've never seen in your life :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Could always email the lecturer in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You're not supposed to be anywhere in the University without a valid Student ID, so I imagine it's a no-no.

Uhhh...ya might want to rethink that one there. Otherwise it wouldn't be as open to the public as it is.

Yeah, if it's a big lecture so you're not disrupting anyone, fire ahead. Especially if it helps you with your decisions CAO wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Fair play to ya.
    I'm in 2nd year myself and honestly half of the students don't turn up. Very refreshing to hear someone who actually gives a damn.
    I wouldn't think there would be a problem, to be honest the lecturers are happy to have some interested people there rather than the usual bunch of vacant looking giggling chatterboxes they usually have!!
    Obviously this doesn't apply to all students but a few are just unreal:eek:

Please excuse the rant but just have had a weird week with some ridiculous things going on in college. Will explain more later when the situation unfolds further!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Why would you want to do this?
    You said that you attended lectures when in secondary school- what are you doing now?
    There is no reason why you cant, I'm just very curious as to why you would want to.

Why would you want to do this?
    You said that you attended lectures when in secondary school- what are you doing now?
    There is no reason why you cant, I'm just very curious as to why you would want to.

Actually, I'm a bit curious too!!
    Don't think it's a bad or wrong idea but am mad to find out why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Actually, I'm a bit curious too!!
    Don't think it's a bad or wrong idea but am mad to find out why?

Deffo not wrong or bad!
    I make it to on average at least 90% of my lectures over the course of the year- so I see making lectures as essential!
    Just curious as to why someone who doesnt have to go would want to?

Deffo not wrong or bad!
    I make it to on average at least 90% of my lectures over the course of the year- so I see making lectures as essential!
    Just curious as to why someone who doesnt have to go would want to?

I'm sorry Poor old gill, I didn't mean that you thought it was wrong or bad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

personally I think it's the best way someone in secondary school could get some idea of what a certain college course might be like and if they have any interest in it. What's taught at secondary level might not interest them at all but 3rd level might be completely different. Or the subject might not be taught at 2nd level at all. Or maybe they're just interested in something. There's plenty of reasons to go if you're interested.

Ironically, the people who actually 'have to go' to lectures generally dont...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

It's always funny how on exam days for big classes like maths and physics, you see people you've never seen in your life :D

It's funnier when your class is around 32 people and you have been in it for 2+ years and during exams you see people you never seen before*.

*and no they weren't repeats from the year ahead

For bigger lectures it's not a problem, smaller ones might be. If its a case were you want to attend some to see if you want to do that course and put it down on the CAO. For smaller classes a quick email to the lecture, or hell show up and go to him on the day and ask more then likely they dont mind(unless it is a practicle class)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Don't see the problem with this. There's usually a few people in large lectures who everyone know's is there for some free education. Wouldn't work in small groups though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

glad to see that at least somepne's interested in coming to lectures. had an MCQ in applied maths this week and there was at least twice as many people there for the MCQ than at the lectures normally.
    going to lectures where there's a large group of people is grand.
    good way to find out if your chosen course is interesting or not

Advertisement