Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car jacking query.

Options
  • 19-02-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Which would be easier or does it make any difference:

Jacking car up with spare wheeljack and supporting with hydraulic axle stands.

OR

Jacking car up with hydraulic trolley jack and supporting with non hydraulic axle stands?

:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭maidhcII

I thought you would be asking whether a sawn off shotgun or revolver would be more effective to remove an individual from an S-Class at the traffic lights.

Personally I'd use a trolley jack the spare wheel jacks are rubbish. I have no idea what hyraulic axle stands are (bottle jacks?)

Also, railway sleepers make very good axle stands!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

maidhcII wrote: »

And also Carcenagenic (Damn spelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yeah, echo the above comments. Never use concrete blocks, and maybe leave your wheel underneath the car also just in case. Lidl have some good specials I see :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

maidhcII wrote: »
    I thought you would be asking whether a sawn off shotgun or revolver would be more effective to remove an individual from an S-Class at the traffic lights.

Personally I'd use a trolley jack the spare wheel jacks are rubbish. I have no idea what hyraulic axle stands are (bottle jacks?)

Any particular advantage to the trolley jack, just easier to use? The jack with the wheel is surely designed to lift the car anyway.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Yeah, echo the above comments. Never use concrete blocks, and maybe leave your wheel underneath the car also just in case. Lidl have some good specials I see :D.

Yep, but I'm a very impatient man and they have hydraulic axle stands there tonight for 20 quid each. If I could do the same thing with those and my wheel jack, rather than waiting till Monday and getting the trolley jack and normal axle stands I would. I'm just that impulsive!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ush1 wrote: »
    Any particular advantage to the trolley jack, just easier to use? The jack with the wheel is surely designed to lift the car anyway.

No, it's designed to lift one corner of the car, which is slight above 1/4 of it's weight. It'd be death to trust it.

Confab wrote: »
    No, it's designed to lift one corner of the car, which is slight above 1/4 of it's weight. It'd be death to trust it.

But is that not all I'd need to lift? Slip the axle stand underneath and then the other side?

There was a story about some guy doing pre-nct work using hes wifes car jack. The thing buckled under the weight and he didn't survive. It's not worth the risk with those chepo jacks supplied with the car. Changing a spare wheel maybe, but not getting under the car.

Hal1 wrote: »
    There was a story about some guy doing pre-nct work using hes wifes car jack. The thing buckled under the weight and he didn't survive. It's not worth the risk with those chepo jacks supplied with the car. Changing a spare wheel maybe, but not getting under the car.

But you wouldn't be getting under the car would you? You'd be jacking up one side, putting it on the axle stand, then the other side, then axle stand on there, unless I'm mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Yep, but I'm a very impatient man and they have hydraulic axle stands there tonight for 20 quid each. If I could do the same thing with those and my wheel jack, rather than waiting till Monday and getting the trolley jack and normal axle stands I would. I'm just that impulsive!:D

Hydraulic axle stands are bottle jacks. Do not do this use real axle stands.

The reason:
    The reason you never get under a car on a hydraulic jack is the seals may weap or fail lowering the car on top of you. Jacks can do this quite a bit with age or for no reason.

http://www.carbasics.co.uk/how_to_jack_up_a_car_safely.htm

• Advertisement

But you wouldn't be getting under the car would you? You'd be jacking up one side, putting it on the axle stand, then the other side, then axle stand on there, unless I'm mistaken?

Once it's on axel stands and correctly supported it's fine. All I'm saying is use them and not the mickey mouse jack alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Wouldn't use any kind of hydraulic jack to support a car whilst I was working underneath it.

Also I wouldn't bother with the spare wheel jack, their painful to use a trolley jack is so much easier.

Dont forget to chock the wheels that are left on the ground aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tbh ...for anything that requires that my gorgeous body be inserted under two tons of metal, I drive the thing up on ramps.

Once jacks or stands are involved I only ever approach the yoke from the side, not from underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

trolley jack and stands...always use stands....i have 4 setsa to make sure there is always one to hand so i dont cut corners

peasant wrote: »
    tbh ...for anything that requires that my gorgeous body be inserted under two tons of metal, I drive the thing up on ramps.

Once jacks or stands are involved I only ever approach the yoke from the side, not from underneath.

I've heard stories of ramps buckling though, and you can't do much brake work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd never trust any hydraulic device to do anything other than lift a car. I jack it up with a trolley jack if available and rest it down onto a ramp, using a suitable part of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use stands both sides and leave the jack too on one side. It may give me a few more second if anything buckles.
    My stands are rated 2 ton each and car is 1.5.

Jacking up using the spare wheel jack is a major PITA.

Advertisement