Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW BEETLE ECU

Options
  • 19-02-2010 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hows it goin.

The sister in law just called me to say that the ecu in her 03 beetle diesel is gone.

The car had 100k miles on it. Has any of you got any ideas on where to get a replacment cheap. Would a passat one do the job either.

Thanks in advance fo helpful posts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Which engine is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

si_guru wrote: »
    Which engine is it?

1.9 tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Who told her the ecu was gone and how did they come to that conclusion?

Neilw wrote: »
    Who told her the ecu was gone and how did they come to that conclusion?

Vw main dealer came out to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

malcox wrote: »
    Vw main dealer came out to it

What diagnostics did they do?

• Advertisement

I dont know. The car starts and cuts out again. She was told she would need a ecu, thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

That happened to the golf I owned. Did a google search and the results I got left me fearing it was the ECU. Turned out it was the fuel pump

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I dont know. The car starts and cuts out again. She was told she would need a ecu, thats all.

Immoboliser? Ask her to try the spare key... or if it has an aftermarket alarm, disable it and see if that sorts it.

The diagnostics will only run on a car when the battery is full or almost full. It will just say it can't connect if the battery is drained. I'd say turning over the car a few times will have drained the battery - and so when they stuck the diagnostics on the car, it said 'couldnt connect' and they decided the ECU is dead. This happened to me befoe...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

OK...just a little advice from my own experience.
    We own and run a 00 beetle 2.0 petrol...It did the same thing..
    first conclusion was coil pack....no good(here's where the petrol/diesel difference ends.)
    we changed ecu/maf/cam position sensor,checked compression,tore our limited remaining hair out,and retired to drink tea and apply reason.

No live data from the ECU,even though the dealer could flash it fine.
    We finally traced the problem to a relay below the airbox,which when changed,allowed the ECU to run.no problems since.

might be worth a look.

If it is an ECU,ebay.co.uk,search stevens-vw-dismantlers...I've found them honest,knowledgable and efficient on more than one occasion.

Hope this helps;)

Its under the air filter so? Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

Its under the air filter so? Thanks for that.

The relay that caused us the grief was,yes. In its own little black box,a single relay.

this was arrived at,remember,after many hours of elimination...and may or may not cure your problem...but i would advise having a look.

Ok we will look tomorrow thanks very much

Advertisement