Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre-sale NCT. Standard or not?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,
    quick question for you guys. I am in market to buy Audi A4 and have seen a used 2006 uk import in a dublin dealership on Naas road. I think the price looks reasonable. 15k but hoping to get more off on trade-in of my 2003 Astra (3k?).

But......... they won't do the NCT for me and give a warranty for only 3 months. Is this typical? My wife bought a UK import Prius from a dublin dealership and they NCTed prior to sale and gave her 6 month warranty. Whats the standard deal in this case and what should I push for?

Let me know

Ozziej

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Sound fishy to me.

Most places give at least a 6 months warranty. It sounds like they have no confidence in the car they are selling so why should you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Agree - just walk on to the next one - why won't they just NCT it, it would be backdated to date of registration anyhow so little benefit in doing at a later point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the car on ROI plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sellers must supply products that are fit for purpose. A car with no NCT is not fit for purpose because you are legally obliged to have an NCT on your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ozziej

Thanks guys. The garage will register car and get ROI plates pre-sale.

It does seem like a good price????

I think I'll test drive Monday and bargain then tell them NCT is dealbreaker and I want warranty for 6 months.

If they agree.........They have done cartell check but I will get my own done on uk reg and get AA to do inspection on it.

What would be standard warranty on used cars in people's opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ozziej wrote: »
    Thanks guys. The garage will register car and get ROI plates pre-sale.

It does seem like a good price????

I think I'll test drive Monday and bargain then tell them NCT is dealbreaker and I want warranty for 6 months.

If they agree.........They have done cartell check but I will get my own done on uk reg and get AA to do inspection on it.

What would be standard warranty on used cars in people's opinion?
    I'd look for min 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a car that is only 4 years old they should be offering 6 months warranty minimum imo. They should also put it through the NCT as part of the sale. If there is nothing wrong with the car then they have nothing to worry about otherwise I would assume they know there is something major wrong with it and would walk away.

There is are alot of these cars out there so why settle for one with so many doubts over it and the sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

There's no reason why they can't get it NCT'd, I bet they'd be moaning if you were trying to trade in a car without one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The problem here is that the car is not VRT'd yet.
    The dealer cant NCT it until it has a VLC.
    The dealer cant get a VLC unless he registers it into a name.
    The buyer wont pay until car is VRT'd + NCT'd.

Dealer wont register the car and VRT it only to add an extra name to the owner list.

I would of thought that the OP gets a written letter confirming that it is in satisfacyory state to fly through the NCT on top of the standard warranty wether that be 3 months or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gumbo wrote: »
    The problem here is that the car is not VRT'd yet.
    The dealer cant NCT it until it has a VLC.
    The dealer cant get a VLC unless he registers it into a name.
    The buyer wont pay until car is VRT'd + NCT'd.

Dealer wont register the car and VRT it only to add an extra name to the owner list.

I would of thought that the OP gets a written letter confirming that it is in satisfacyory state to fly put it through the NCT and if it fails to fix it for free on top of the standard warranty wether that be 3 months or 6.

FYP

Though getting something in writing off some of the Naas road dealers is worth as much as getting it off me.

OP if they don't give you a written guarantee of an NCT pass as part of the sale walk away. Why else would a dealer refuse to NCT a car they are selling unless they know it'll fail.

The only other option would be to hold back €2000-€3000 for the car on the written understanding that you'll pay the remainder on passing the NCT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement