Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design not working on different platforms

Options
  • 19-02-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Making my first website for a friend. I'm very happy with it so far. However I've just found out that it displays horribly on internet explorer! Could you please check out the page I'v put up, I just have 1 at the mo and tell me about any issues ye see.

I would also appreciate some feedback on the design. Be nice! :p

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What's the URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I like the dancing man..
    http://www.cleanlinefarmservices.ie/

You will prbably need to make specific css files for IE, Firefox and Chrome

Generally Firefox shows the true rendering of CSS, IE and chrome make there own.

then run in comments for each CSS File

for example, for internet explorer 6 you would use something like this
    <!--[if IE 6]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="ie6.css" type="text/css"/>
    <![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 7]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="ie7.css" type="text/css"/>
    <![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 8]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="ie6.css" type="text/css"/>
    <![endif]-->

Thanks thats very helpful. Is that within a script tag or just in the header? What do you think of the overall look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hi guys

Making my first website for a friend. I'm very happy with it so far. However I've just found out that it displays horribly on internet explorer! Could you please check out the page I'v put up, I just have 1 at the mo and tell me about any issues ye see.

It looks OK in IE8 (apart from a black shadow appearing on the right, under the curve, when the images fade).

What did people say was wrong with it, and in which version of IE ?

Issues with IE are normally the double-margin bug (when something is floated, you need to put "display:inline" in the CSS) or differences in the box model (margin/padding/width) implementation, causing misalignment.

Most other issues can be sorted within a single CSS file with the odd additional IE-specific declaration....there's no real need for separate CSS files 90% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

put IE8 into compatability mode and it doesn't work

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    It looks OK in IE8 (apart from a black shadow appearing on the right, under the curve, when the images fade).

What did people say was wrong with it, and in which version of IE ?

Issues with IE are normally the double-margin bug (when something is floated, you need to put "display:inline" in the CSS) or differences in the box model (margin/padding/width) implementation, causing misalignment.

Most other issues can be sorted within a single CSS file with the odd additional IE-specific declaration....there's no real need for separate CSS files 90% of the time.

On IE7 the main pic on the home page moves up, the floated text picture to the right of the image moves on top of it. The edge of the yellow nav bar moves up too. These little movements occur on all the pages, eg the product page.

How do you write IE specific declarations? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

dancinjo.gif

Quality :)

Dave! wrote: »
    dancinjo.gif

Quality :)

Haha thanks the guy I'm making it for won a set dancing competition last weekend, and I've just started flash animation in college. :p

Advertisement