Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice on buying new car

Options
  • 19-02-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi All

Well im planning on taking the big step and buying my first car-eekkk

K so im still learning to drive but will eventually plan on driving up and down from cork so thin a 1.4 is the way to go

However, when it comes to what make and model im so confused:

my dad saying to get a renault, my boyfriend is telling me renaults are ****e and to get a vauxhall and then my car rep sales friend is telling me to stay away from French cars and buy a toyota

At this point im so confuesed....just wondering if anyone out there could make recommendations- i, personally like the ford ka but know in the long term its not economically and too small

Oh my budget is €3k-looking for something between 2000-2004

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

astra 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

All those fellas are wrong and you are right :D

A Ka is a fine little car. Cheap to buy, reliable and fun to drive.

People will tell you it has an old fashioned 1.3l engine, not the most refined and economical out there. All true, but it is easier to maintain and it doesn't need expensive timing belt services (and worry about a broken engine should the belt fail)

It's still nippy enough to do long distance driving on our national roads or motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭kaykay27

had a look at the astra there and think it would be too big for a learner driver- looking for something compact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Standard Motors response to all new car queries:

Skoda Superb

or

Old V8 luxobarge.

:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kaykay27 wrote: »
    had a look at the astra there and think it would be too big for a learner driver- looking for something compact
    not if yer driving any sorta miledge you don't kas and their class of car are for towns not for the pen road , sure theycan be used ...

also its easy to drive aan astra they are not a big car by any strech take about 3 days to get used to them if you've been learning in something small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

A Ka would not be a good choice for frequent long distance driving - I have driven my Fiesta (the Ka is basically just a shortened Mk. 4 Fiesta) from Limerick to Dublin many times, it is not very comfortable and quite tiring, also the 1.3 pushrod engines are quite noisy at motorway speeds (Ka got a new SOHC engine since 2002, should be more refined).

You'd be much better off with a small family car like a Ford Focus, Opel Astra, Seat Leon, Mazda 323, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, etc. Golfs are overpriced, and the last generation Nissan Almera don't seem as reliable as the the previous ones (plus they're rubbish to drive).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

1.4l Peugeot 206 - You should be able to get a 03 / 04 for €3k. Certainly a 03 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I drove a Ka from Dublin to Tralee a few years ago, it was hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd get something like a Skoda Fabia 1.4.
    big car feel, comfy and cheap as chips.

Advertisement