Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on Renault 19

Options
  • 19-02-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I drove my car to work yesterday and when i went out to go home last night it would not start. It is not turning over....no lights on dash or anything come on....just wondering if anyone has any idea what problem might be as i really cant afford a mechanic and am screwed without car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Flat battery? Did you leave anything on?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

Is the battery flat, did you try you jump start it?

Edit beaten to it by Anan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Could be as simple as a loose or corroded battery connection. Disconnect the battery and examine the wires and terminals, clean if necessary then reconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

nothing was left on battery was only changed recently and no offence im a woman havent clue how to take battery out n cleamn it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have a look under the bonnet and make sure the two connectors on the battery are still attached. Give them a wiggle to make sure they're still tight. Also double check that you didn't leave anything on - it's going to be harder to spot with a flat battery.;) Failing that i'd try jump starting the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Your R19 should have quick release battery connections although they may have been changed for standard clamps over the years. If it has quick release it will have a red plastic connector on the positive and a green or black plastic connector on the negative. Unscrewing these doesn't require any tools. Unscrew the negative first then the positive and whatever you do, don't let any metal objects (eg a spanner) touch both battery poles at the same time.

PS you should wear eye protection anytime you do any work on a car battery. There is a small chance the the battery could explode, spraying you with acid.

Advertisement