Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to insured car immediately after buying?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Friends,

I am going to buy a car within couple of weeks, Do I need to insured immediately on the first day of buying or can I just park my car say for a month and insure it before when I actually start drivin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

You will need an insured person to drive it home from the garage but you can leave it outside your house uninsured. AFAIK if it's on the road tho you must have tax on it. also if anything happens to it then you'll have no insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You can't drive it at all without insurance. You could buy it and leave it uninsured and unused, but you'd really want to have a pretty good reason. Cars are getting cheaper all the time, and what happens if it's stolen/damaged while uninsured?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You may not legally have to insure it if it's off the road (and never driven on the road) - am open to correction on this...but what if it's stolen, or someone smacks into it? You'd be screwed then. The bare legal minimum (third party) won't cover the above two scenarios. You'd be best off insuring it for (at the least) third party, fire and theft.

Also, how would you get it from where you're buying it from to where you're going to park it? As soon as you're driving on public roads, you must be insured to drive the car (and taxed and with a valid NCT if more than 4 years old). Perhaps getting it towed or driven by a mechanic under their trade policy might cover it, but I'm not an expert in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Get insurance for the day you plan to buy the car. Have you are garage or driveway?
    Wouldn't advice leaving it on a road outside your house without insurance, just encase, would need Tax for that too.

If you have a driveway, just remove the wheels, no one can steal it then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭maskabun

Yakuza wrote: »
    You may not legally have to insure it if it's off the road (and never driven on the road) - am open to correction on this...but what if it's stolen, or someone smacks into it? You'd be screwed then. The bare legal minimum (third party) won't cover the above two scenarios. You'd be best off insuring it for (at the least) third party, fire and theft.

Also, how would you get it from where you're buying it from to where you're going to park it? As soon as you're driving on public roads, you must be insured to drive the car (and taxed and with a valid NCT if more than 4 years old). Perhaps getting it towed or driven by a mechanic under their trade policy might cover it, but I'm not an expert in that.

I am thinking to ask the seller to drive into my parking. I am running out of cash so don't have enough money to insure it this month :(. I have underground parking but your concern of stealing car is still valid as parking is does not have good security cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get seller to drive it to your house. As was mentioned theres a fire and theft risk by not having it insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - Is the car particularly cheap? Unless it is, i'd advise you to only buy a car when you have enough money saved to cover all running expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

If you do opt for insurance, you can shop around now, choose the start day for the date you purchase the car and go with a monthly repayment scheme on the insurance & if you want then pay if off in full say 2-3 months later or whenever you have the full amount, that will allow you for the first week to pay part of the insurance have you policy and cert received by the date you buy the car and have money to pay for 3mths tax or what ever you want.

If there is a second car in the house, always make sure to state that when getting quotes for insurance as it could take anything from 300-600 off the policy automatically, it will allow you to get fully comp for the same price as 3rd party was quoted without 2nd car in the house in alot of cases.

Also having the car insured while your learning to drive will allow you the freedom of having the car to practise in after lessons. Provided you have someone who has held a full license for 2years or more.

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - Is the car particularly cheap? Unless it is, i'd advise you to only buy a car when you have enough money saved to cover all running expenses.
    Yes the car is very good and cheap that's why do not want to miss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not wishing to appear all high and mighty but if funds are that tight can you really afford to run a car op?

There's quite a bit more to it money wise than insurance and fuel.

• Advertisement

Not wishing to appear all high and mighty but if funds are that tight can you really afford to run a car op?

There's quite a bit more to it money wise than insurance and fuel.
    As this will be my first car I am not going to drive on the road soon. What my plan is to buy it first and then book lessons, take some lesson on instructor's car and some in my car so I get confidance in my car.

Advertisement