Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much mileage on an 2000 E-Class is too high ?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at getting a 99/00 e-class and most of them have quite high mileage ?

Car i'm looking at has 285,000km on the clock and has a full dealer service history.

Its an E320 CDI Avantgarde Spec with all the toys.

So any idea what the maintenance costs would be, what would be the big things that could go at this mileage and would i be nuts to look at buying it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The more service history a car has, the better. I've seen E-class mercs with 400,000 MILES on the clock and they're still going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I've been in the newer shape (w211) with over 340k miles on it (an 05) and it was perfect. No way at all of telling.

My uncle has the older w210 and has had no end of trouble with it. Has yet to hit 100k and there's been a couple of cats, steering trouble and other niggly bits. Rattles to beat the band too.

Edit - almost forgot the few bits of rust. Tiny bt still there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There’s no such thing as too much mileage, it’s just a number. Ask yourself the following questions…
    1. Is the car in good enough nick to do whatever you need it to do for the how ever long you need it for?
    2. Does the history of the car stack up (receipts for work as well as stamps in the book, nothing neglected)?
    3. Does the price reflect the age, condition and mileage?
    4. Can you get something better for the same money or something similar for less?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Had they sorted the rust issue by then?
    We we're looking for a large estate some years back and every late 90's E Class we saw was crumbling at the door sills and tailgate - I mean like falling to pieces in your hands.

Ended up going with a younger V70 for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If it's made it this far then it has to be a good one. The W210 as a car though is generally junk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement