Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodge Viper Crash

Options
  • 19-02-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Ouch, video of a viper crashing into a van! (crash is near the end, video is a bit long if you want to forward through it). The viper does sound fantastic going through the tunnels.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

The older model with the 8litre engine looks and sounds amazing.

Pity - but that's what happens when you drive like a c0ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lesson to be learned: do not undertake, children :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As per peasant's sig, he was blinded by the light at the end of the tunnel! ABS and/or sunglasses might have saved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Similar thing can happen at night when driving through bright lights put up for road works. Blind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The guy holding the camera was driving as bad as the guy in the Viper, very dangerous holding a camera while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Anan1 wrote: »
    As per peasant's sig, he was blinded by the light at the end of the tunnel! ABS and/or sunglasses might have saved him.

Sunglasses yes, but he needed to stop quick! ABS wouldn't have saved him.

Yes, AFAIK they don't have ABS. Dangerous in a car with that amount of grunt. :eek::eek::eek:

JHMEG wrote: »
    Sunglasses yes, but he needed to stop quick! ABS wouldn't have saved him.
    Might have got him into the adjoining lane though.

He was skidding for quite some time - hard to know how fast he was moving, but I think he'd have stopped with ABS. There is a huge gap between the end of the tunnel and where the traffic starts.

Also, he locks up for ages, then releases for a bit and locks up again. He was trying his hardest to get maximum grip without skidding (without success)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

peasant wrote: »
    Lesson to be learned: do not undertake, children :D

Undertaking had nothing to do with that crash.

The driver made the mistake of driving into a high contract region into which he just could not see, into a space where his speed was in exceess of braking distance, and then finally locking the brakes.

Three factors. I pity the fella. ABS would have decreased the distance, but not enough to prevent the rear ending,
    if he had abs he would have no room to move due to the car in the left lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

The technology of a dodge viper is about the same as an old tractor.
    ABS might have saved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Might have saved him, but the thing is, the engine is heavy, and the weight overcomes the tyres, and we don't know if the tyres were warm or cold.

T-Square wrote: »
    if he had abs he would have no room to move due to the car in the left lane.
    There was a gap in the lane to the left of him, it wasn't huge but I think it would have done the job. Beggars can't be choosers and all that!

Might have got him into the adjoining lane though.

Where he would have been side swipped by traffic there. He needed to stop asap in the lane he was in. ABS would have (possibly) increased his stopping distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

T-Square wrote: »
    The driver made the mistake of driving into a high contract region into which he just could not see, into a space where his speed was in exceess of braking distance, and then finally locking the brakes.
    Accelerating into that unknown space didn't do him any favours either :D

JHMEG wrote: »
    Where he would have been side swipped by traffic there. He needed to stop asap in the lane he was in. ABS would have increased his stopping distance.
    I think he could have got in between the silver Golf to his left and the truck in front of it. It would have been a fairly hairy maneouvre, but still better than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Since he as driving a Viper, he probably wasn't the most sensible guy to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Thats what happens when you drive like an ejit :D

Wikipedia says
    The brakes hurt the car in numerous comparison tests, such as a 1997 "supercar comparison" by Motor Trend, in which the Viper GTS placed at the top against cars such as the Ferrari 550, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 911, and Honda NSX in all performance exercises except braking. The car not only placed last, but had considerably longer stopping distances than other vehicles. ABS was introduced further into the production run, though braking performance was not necessarily significantly improved.

Even with ABS braking is still a huge weak point with this car.

I'd still have one in a shot if it wasn't for the punitive motor tax regime in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I would say ur man in the hyundai van had a sore hole. He will be driving the viper after the court case:D

• Advertisement

malcox wrote: »
    I would say ur man in the hyundai van had a sore hole. He will be driving the viper after the court case:D
    If I had a 'sore hole' i'm not sure that a Viper would be top of my shopping list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The stopping distance just looks all wrong. You can't help but think that the car (espically a performance car) should be able to stop a lot quicker. Shows how poorly it was designed. Bet an M3 would have been able to stop no bother.
    Isn't there another technology about that stops the wheels from locking (no, not abs) but an anti-skid type... (esp or something???).
    I know esp in my car has to do with traction, but does it have something to do with brake distribution as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Should have gone to Spex Savers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think he could have got in between the silver Golf to his left and the truck in front of it. It would have been a fairly hairy maneuver, but still better than the alternative.

Agreed, it should have been doable. But he panicked and hit the brakes. Whats the point in driving a car like that if your not going to put the effort into thinking about how you should drive it.

Advertisement