Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WTF? Digital Mileage "Correction"??

Options
  • 19-02-2010 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/42/54109742.html

Some lad offering to reduce car mileage? I always thought these were shady under the counter offerings, not public adds for the masses. Supposedly untraceable (so his add says). :mad:

Comments

Nothing wrong with it once if you sell the car you make the buyer aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

RoverJames wrote: »

Would you buy a car off a guy who openly states he clocked it just because he felt like it though?

Would depend on the car, the overall condition and the price :)
    All I'm pointing out is that there is nothing wrong with offering this service in the eyes of the law. As I generally change my car every 3 to 6 months I wouldn't fancy it as I reckon it would turn off many folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

RoverJames wrote: »

Why would the seller make note that it's untraceable if most of his customers were honest to good people? It's the ones that won't make you aware of it that are the problem - especially for first time buyers like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They have been advertising in buy & sell for as long as I can remember. They usually call it correction though to cover themselves - so you would only be using them if the clocks were showing the wrong miles for some reason! Ya right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can we just clarify on-thread that the service this seller is offering is legal and no-one is insinuation otherwise.
    Any discussion here is about the potential misuse of this person's services, which would be outside of his/her control or influence.

Carry on...

-Chris- wrote: »
    Can we just clarify on-thread that the service this seller is offering is legal and no-one is insinuation otherwise.

Done in first post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Legal maybe, morally reprehensible certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

Legal maybe, morally reprehensible certainly.

Buy a Renault Scenic with one of their notorious dashes, get replacement dash from breakers with wrong mileage, get it corrected by this guy, whats reprehensible about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Legal, only because it hasn't been deemed illegal, I'd say. A bit like "legal" highs from these so-called head shops,

*puts on coat and heads over to AH*.

*comes back*

Having said that, I've read on some Renault forums about issues with the electronic dash in Scenic (II's) where it would add thousands of miles onto the odometer at random, so it would be legitimate to "correct" the mileage there, but that should only be done by an authorised garage, not someone with a mobile number from a free ad website.

It is just another anomaly in the law that allows a service to be offered that (99.9% of the time) can realistically only can have one possible use, to defraud potential car buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

mikewest wrote: »
    Buy a Renault Scenic with one of their notorious dashes, get replacement dash from breakers with wrong mileage, get it corrected by this guy, whats reprehensible about that?

Nothing at all, but I think you are being naive if you think that is where he makes his money.

mikewest wrote: »

Buying the Scenic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I would agree with the point that it would need to be done by a reputable garage. I never knew this could be done, makes one a bit more warey going out to look at cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

100% safe, secure and with no previous traces left

this bit speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Tigger wrote: »
    this bit speaks volumes

The original mileage is normally stored in the eprom and can be checked with diagnostics such as eg. vagcom on edc15's.

Advertisement