Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the language of the mass....

Options
  • 19-02-2010 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm baffled, can anyone here tell me when these changes come into effect? for example, the priest will say ''The Lord be with you'' and instead of us saying ''and also with you'' we say ''and with your Spirit.''

I've been hearing talk about this for quite some time, yet it has not seemed to happen. Anyone have any info regarding the subject?

God bless and thanks in advance

Stephen <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I've been hearing talk about this for quite some time, yet it has not seemed to happen. Anyone have any info regarding the subject?

Not sure about if it's going to change here but I know in Germany it is the 'and with your Spirit' / "Und mit deinem Geiste" version... as opposed to 'also with you', has been that way there for at least the last 4/5 years AFAIK. One of the first things I noticed when I went to mass over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Plowman wrote: »
    I hasn't changed yet but it will be. The new translation will be more faithful to the latin which is "et cum spirito tuo" i.e. "and with your spirit".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Plowman wrote: »

A blessing found in Ruth 2:4, and occurring frequently in Scripture with slight variation, notably in the salutation of the Angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary (Luke 1:28). It occurs eight times in the Mass, four times as a salutation from priest to people, and before the principal prayer in each hour of the Office. The answer, "Et cum spiritu tuo" (And with thy spirit), formerly an acclamation by the entire congregation at Mass, is also scriptural (2 Timothy 4:22).

• Advertisement
Advertisement