Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3 Child Seats

Options
  • 19-02-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Ok, I need to change car over the next few months, but I need something that will allow 1 booster, 1 high back booster and a child seat into the back. Also need a large boot and something that I can use a roof rack on.

I have narrowed down to the following 3 cars, S-max 5 seater, 2007 - 2009Mondeo or 520d. While I know that the S-max and 520d will cover what I need, I am unsure about the Mondeo, thre 07- model. I believe the rear is wider than my Mondeo -2007 model, but am looking for some people who are in the situatuion to advise. Also I have heard the 1.8TDCi engine is a bit crappy,anyone confirm this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I reckon any of them should be fine as long as they have three 3 point seat belts (S Max is a 7 seater by the way). Have heard some murmurings about S Max reliability though.

Looks like we'll need to fit in 2 x full Stage 1 child seats and 1 high back booster soon. Liking the look (and price!) of the new Megane estate but, no matter how much I squeeze them, I doubt those seats will go in. MPV time so........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Also I have heard the 1.8TDCi engine is a bit crappy,anyone confirm this?

Terrible lag from the 1.8TDCi 125ps Model, worse performance from the 100ps unit. OK for steady speed, distance commuting, but wouldn't like to have to drive it around town.

Have a look at the VW Touran as well. Each individual seat in the middle row slides so you can have the middle seat forward and the outside seats back - this give room for 3 full size child seats. With the rear row of seats stowed the boot is fairly large.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

(S Max is a 7 seater by the way).

It was initially available as a 5 seater with an even more humungous boot, but I think they dropped that model, and 5 seaters would be rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Cheers for that, Won't buy french cause I have a renault before, say no more. I wouldn't buy a VAG either, as I sell car parts and the amount for DMF / Clutches we sell for VAG is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Cheers for that, Won't buy french cause I have a renault before, say no more. I wouldn't buy a VAG either, as I sell car parts and the amount for DMF / Clutches we sell for VAG is unreal

Ah, that just means you can get the (much needed) replacement parts cheap :D

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Ah, that just means you can get the (much needed) replacement parts cheaper than others :D

Fixed that for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

It was initially available as a 5 seater with an even more humungous boot, but I think they dropped that model, and 5 seaters would be rare.

5 seat would be worth less.... but I bet it has a spare wheel... or "pot hole insurance" as they call them in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,033 ✭✭✭✭unkel

MPV time so........:(

nooooooohhhhhh!!! :)

Most D-class (Mondeo, Vectra, etc.) saloon cars fit the OPs requirements and yours just about as long as they have 3 3-point seatbelts in the back. A 5 series (that's another size up from the D-class) should have more than adequate rear space. We've a full babyseat and 2 high back boosters in ours and there is plenty of space.

Hatchbacks and estates fit more stuff than a sedan, so if you have a lot to carry, consider one of those.

OP - remember to try your seats first before you buy any car!

unkel wrote: »
    nooooooohhhhhh!!! :)

Most D-class (Mondeo, Vectra, etc.) saloon cars fit the OPs requirements and yours just about as long as they have 3 3-point seatbelts in the back. A 5 series (that's another size up from the D-class) should have more than adequate rear space. We've a full babyseat and 2 high back boosters in ours and there is plenty of space.
    !

I dunno Unkel.......pretty much everything I've read online suggests that fitting 2 Stage 1s and a highback booster into a 'normal' car (a) isn't possible (b) not worth the hassle on the rare occasion it is. Remember the stage 1s are the enormous yokes altogether, with inbuilt belts etc. I've got a new model C5 so that should give me some idea if it'll work. Just have to source a couple of seats (only have one at the moment). Apparently the problem often isn't so much the width of the car, as the shape of the seats, i.e. mosts cars these days tend to have two 'seats' with a raised bit in the middle, rather than a flat bench (which may work).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,033 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Agreed that might be a bit much for a D-class car. Did you try in a 5-series / e-class size car?

Indeed it's more the shape of the seats. No 3 seats would have fitted in my 7-series! (apart from the fact it only had a lap belt in the middle)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed that might be a bit much for a D-class car. Did you try in a 5-series / e-class size car?

Won't be going that big I'd say - it's for the wife not me!:p:D Even at that size, it seems a lot of people have trouble anyway....

Having a look at the Honda FR-V later if I get out in time.:o

Just to confirm, I have an 2006 Mondeo h/back. I have tried the 2 boosters with the baby seat and it is a no no, the just won't fit. Even if they would I would need to be able to close the seatbelts and the seat would leave no room for that.

Advertisement