Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Accommodation Scheme

Options
  • 19-02-2010 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I’m a landlord and I’m just considering leasing out my house to the Dublin County Council under the Rental Accomodation Scheme.

Just wondering has anyone done this before and has it worked out for them and what kind of rent can you expect for a 3 bedroom house.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Clubman wrote: »
    I’m a landlord and I’m just considering leasing out my house to the Dublin County Council under the Rental Accomodation Scheme.

Just wondering has anyone done this before and has it worked out for them and what kind of rent can you expect for a 3 bedroom house.

Generally the rent is a little below the going rate (which seems to be to a large extent in turn determined by the prevalent rent allowance rates in an area)- however you have a guaranteed rental income, and no breaks in income from vacant periods (which to be honest is the whole selling point of the scheme from a landlord's perspective). If you're in an area with high demand and have no difficulties whatsoever getting tenants, and don't mind the constant upkeep (given that tenancies now average less than 8 months)- I'd steer clear of the scheme. If on the other hand, you have any worries about vacancy and/or the upkeep associated with very shortterm tenancies- then I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are the councils taking over the upkeep now under the RAS? I understood that under RAS, the landlord had to carry out all repairs on the property, get it ready for new tenants, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are the councils taking over the upkeep now under the RAS? I understood that under RAS, the landlord had to carry out all repairs on the property, get it ready for new tenants, etc.

I'm not sure- I've heard differing reports from landlords who are letting in 2 different council areas- in one it has to have an original minimum level of furnishings, decor etc and be in good repair- and then the landlord is indemnified against any damage- including normal wear and tear, for the period of the lease (the instance I was looking at was a 4 year lease). I assume council workers take charge of the upkeep? In the other case- the landlord gets paid for the duration- regardless of occupancy, but is expected to do any repairs, and refresh the decor for new tenants etc (aka paint the place). She has had the place painted 6 times in the past 2 years......

I'd love to know if its documented in black and white what the responsibility of the owner is (the council themselves being the tenant, and the occupant being a subleasee). If anyone has this spelt out somewhere- I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MrsMiaWallace

Rent allowance for a 3bed or 1/2 adults plus 2 children is 1,100 pcm
    I also know that landlords take extra after rent allowance has been apid because quite frankly rent allowance is not enough in the Dublin area!

p.s im looking for a nice 3 bed near to UCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rent allowance for a 3bed or 1/2 adults plus 2 children is 1,100 pcm
    I also know that landlords take extra after rent allowance has been apid because quite frankly rent allowance is not enough in the Dublin area!

p.s im looking for a nice 3 bed near to UCD :)

Are you unemplyed and have you been in receipt of Rent Allowance for 18 months or more? If not then generally you won't get near the RAS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MrsMiaWallace

Are you unemplyed and have you been in receipt of Rent Allowance for 18 months or more? If not then generally you won't get near the RAS.

are you asking me that question? if so why? i dont understand for this reason..

A landlord doesnt have any restrictions regarding unemployment...The info you just gave is wrong, anyone who is unemployed and a EU citizen can get rent allowance whilst they are applying for social welfare plus anyone who gets social welfare, no one has to wait 18 mths to get rent allowance :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

are you asking me that question? if so why? i dont understand for this reason..

A landlord doesnt have any restrictions regarding unemployment...The info you just gave is wrong, anyone who is unemployed and a EU citizen can get rent allowance whilst they are applying for social welfare plus anyone who gets social welfare, no one has to wait 18 mths to get rent allowance :confused:

Hi Mia,
    The OP is talking about the RAS (Rental Accomodation Scheme), it is not Rent Allowance, or Rent Supplement, hope this helps explain it:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/local-authority-and-social-housing/rental-accommodation-scheme

To the Op I think this link may be of interest of you too.

Advertisement