Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VERY tempted to go for a 320d coupe - good choice?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Opinions on the 320d coupe please? Good car? Strongly thinking of going for a '09 and getting rid of my '08 31(cough..)6i.

I haven't driven the coupe yet so am looking for opinions here first please.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Anybody?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Maybe it's just me, but I think the 2.0 diesel engine is an odd match for the coupé body. Sure it does the job, but I just can't reconcile the sound with the looks. I'd have either a petrol coupé or a diesel saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭teelinboy

Hi

I have an E46 (older type) 320CD M-sport coupe for 2 years now and just love it. They are great to drive, the problems with turbo's were sorted out in the post 04 models of which mine is one and I dont think its an issue in the model you are talking about. They are easy to run (45 mpg if you dont flog them) but loads of torque which is great when overtaking etc. If your thinking of getting one of the new type go for the M-Sport - when you look at one you will know what I mean.

The 2.0 litre emmissions will also mean the road tax will be low and the insurance shouldnt be too bad either.

If you want a bit more power and refinement (the 2.0 litre- is a bit clanky when idling) you could opt for the 3.0 litre diesel, which unlike the big petrol engines won't rob you in fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think they're a great idea - why not have the economy AND bit of style as well ?

Most cars - coupé's included - spend the vast majority of their time trundling anyway, and the d isn't exactly a slouch, in the real world.

And, I've yet to see a car where the engine is the limiting factor in it's performance..............brakes, yes; suspension, yes; tyres, yes; engine.........nah, not really........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

teelinboy wrote: »
    .. you could opt for the 3.0 litre diesel, which unlike the big petrol engines won't rob you in fuel.

oooh, even better !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Anan1 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I think the 2.0 diesel engine is an odd match for the coupé body. Sure it does the job, but I just can't reconcile the sound with the looks. I'd have either a petrol coupé or a diesel saloon.

I would be in agreement with this

The Alfa GT is the prime example, pretty pretty car but when you hear the engine start up and rev and it sounds like a van it makes me cry a little

Will cost a bit to go from an 08 316 to an 09 diesel, you'll get a right shafting, better to wait a year more and spread the pain out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Compudaro wrote: »
    Opinions on the 320d coupe please? Good car? Strongly thinking of going for a '09 and getting rid of my '08 31(cough..)6i.

I haven't driven the coupe yet so am looking for opinions here first please.

Thanks in advance
    Is this a serious question or did you just want to brag?:confused:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Will cost a bit to go from an 08 316 to an 09 diesel, you'll get a right shafting, better to wait a year more and spread the pain out a bit.

I'm thinking if I wait another year the "cost to change" rockets even more so I'd rather take the hit earlier. Foolish?

Oh, and Les, It's a totally genuine question! What is there to "brag" about?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 garwalt

i would say the 325d if you can afford to go for it. the difference with the 6 cylinder engine compared to the 4 in the 320 is amazing. Or if you still want a bit more power from the 320 you can get the ecu remapped. Since its a diesel it would give you about an extra 30 bhp

• Advertisement

I'm thinking if I wait another year the "cost to change" rockets even more so I'd rather take the hit earlier. Foolish?

Foolish : seems as you ask, very.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Buying the 09 instead of new with help alot with the costs if you could sell privately. Otherwise you will get quite a shock when you realise there is about 10k between what you thought might be the cost to change(the cost of going the private sale route approx)& the actual price dealers are quoting.

Is this a serious question or did you just want to brag?:confused:
    This is Motors, not Personal Issues.

mickdw wrote: »
    Buying the 09 instead of new with help alot with the costs if you could sell privately. Otherwise you will get quite a shock when you realise there is about 10k between what you thought might be the cost to change(the cost of going the private sale route approx)& the actual price dealers are quoting.

Do you mean trade-in values are really bad? A family member told me he's keen to buy mine if I'm selling so if I can get a decent price privately then it's a good idea to change now right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

+1 The car is pretty mixed up not an all out sports coupe not a comfortable cruiser, I've heard good things about the car, but personally I could never justify spending that kind of money on a sports coupe that's not really a sports coupe, espically when you look at other options in that price range. But it's down to personal preference I'd go for a petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Do you mean trade-in values are really bad? A family member told me he's keen to buy mine if I'm selling so if I can get a decent price privately then it's a good idea to change now right?!

That would be the route I would concentrate on tbh.

It leaves you in a MUCH better position

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some people want sporty looks with economy, and how it sounds is something they are willing to compromise on. I can totally understand that. Getting a saloon might suit the engine note, but I'm not sure how that will make the owner feel any better. Edit - that's not taking price differences into account though.
    The Alfa GT is the prime example, pretty pretty car but when you hear the engine start up and rev and it sounds like a van it makes me cry a little

The problem for me is that the Alfa GT isn't quick OR that economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Private sale yes. Sell it for whatever you can get for it. Will easily beat the dealer pricing when you consider the discount you will get also buying straight.

I would go for the 09 coupe if I was in your shoes. Indeed I am considering one among many other cars. Made decison to sell A5

This could work well for all concerned, if you sell the 316 to a family member for say 15% less than the windscreen price of what the dealer or asking then get a good lash of discount for straight sale on the Coupe you will be doing the best you can do.

eoin wrote: »
    Some people want sporty looks with economy, and how it sounds is something they are willing to compromise on. I can totally understand that. Getting a saloon might suit the engine note, but I'm not sure how that will make the owner feel any better.
    In fairness, i'm probably the wrong person for the OP to be asking - i'm more of a big engine in a plain body and sod the economy kind of guy. I understand what you're saying, I just don't get it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

eoin wrote: »
    Some people want sporty looks with economy, and how it sounds is something they are willing to compromise on. I can totally understand that. Getting a saloon might suit the engine note, but I'm not sure how that will make the owner feel any better. Edit - that's not taking price differences into account though.

I can understand that it just isn't for me though
    The problem for me is that the Alfa GT isn't quick OR that economical.

True but it is swift enough for Irish roads and quite a bit more economical than the RX-8 I have which is why I am looking into getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭maddness

I know its a bit of an odd choice but have you thought of a 123d M sport coupe? Much faster and to my mind very like an old 80's 3 seris coupe.

maddness wrote: »
    I know its a bit of an odd choice but have you thought of a 123d M sport coupe? Much faster and to my mind very like an old 80's 3 seris coupe.
    Lose the MPack and i'm with you on that one. Much less bland-looking than the E92 too, IMO.

Advertisement