Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vapour blasting.........where ?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

..anywhere I can get vapour blasting done ? I have some Brembo calipers I need done, before I refurb them.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tadltd

hi
    Just saw your thread We are the only company in Ireland doing Vapor blasting.
    It operates at 30 psi less than what you have in your car tyre and we do a lot of restoration works on cars bikes engines etc.
    Check www.tadltd.com in the shot blasting section of the gallery and see for yourself.
    Cheers
    Tony
    086-8148118

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Can somebody explain to an old codger what vapor blasting is?

The previous poster offered a website that exalts all kinds of blasting... but no mention of vapor blasting.?

Hi
    Thanks for your comments. hope the following helps>
    Vapor blasting is where the media is suspended in water IN the pressure pot and travels along the blast hose in a slurry form.It is propelled at very low pressures >in this case 30 psi and dissolves on contact.It is a very effecient and effective way of cleaning light materials like aluminum, wood etc.
    Some suppliers of blast services claim that they have a vapor blast system when they dont!!!
    They use a dry pot which sends the media ie sand, garnet shells etc at very high speeds and have a separate water feed to a nozzle just below the tip of the blast hose. This tries to dampen the media and cut down on dust but this system is not very good because the media (sand) still travels very fast and is damaging to light surfaces.
    If you have a look at the favourite links you will see vapor blasting in action in the bike video on you tube.
    Will look at the web site and try to make things clearer. Thanks a million
    Cheers
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

http://www.sodablastingireland.com/main-page.html

This guy does water soluble low pressure blasting .

Is that the same as vapor blasting?

guy does water soluble low pressure soda blasting

Is that the same as vapor blasting?

Hi
    NO. its not the same because it is not possible to do water soluble low pressure blasting because the soda will be dissolved by the water!

what the other guy is doing is standard soda blasting with a separate water supply fed to a nozzle just under the blast hose. What he is trying to do is stop the dust>but it doesnt work because the dry blasted soda is travelling too fast.
    In soda blasting the media or soda in the case is propelled at high speed towards the surface anf smashes off the surface taking the paint with it.
    In vapor blasting we add 15 gallons of water to the blast pot and the media comes down the hose mixed at just 30 psi. There is no dust.

Unlike soda blasting which CANNOT remove rust vapor blasting can and does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tadltd wrote: »
    hi
    Just saw your thread We are the only company in Ireland doing Vapor blasting.
    It operates at 30 psi less than what you have in your car tyre and we do a lot of restoration works on cars bikes engines etc.
    Check www.tadltd.com in the shot blasting section of the gallery and see for yourself.
    Cheers
    Tony
    086-8148118

Tony - a tad late for that job ! - but useful to have, all the same.

Will keep you in mind for future bits'n'pieces.

Your vapour blasting sounds not unlike our new machine at work: water jet cutter. LOL, is that amazing. Btw, uses lots of garnet !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

tad late>>>>very good lol>must use that one in the future tt.

your cutter obviously doesnt cut the mustard lol>>because it cuts rather than cleans lol
    Tony

tad late>>>>very good lol>must use that one in the future tt.

your cutter obviously doesnt cut the mustard lol>>because it cuts rather than cleans lol
    Tony

LOL - good spot ! :p

Btw - it may not cut the mustard........but it'll cut just about anything else......

Stainless steel, for example........

4832 is stainless.........

4833 shows how thick it is.........yep, 65mm thick :eek: :cool:

Ode To The Motorist

jasus galway you have a big one there and your wife must be very happy lol:D
    what type of business are you in because we get calls from time to time about that sort of stuff
    Tony

Hi galway
    got a call from a guy you spoke to about vapour blasting fan assembly unit for a porche 911 circa 70s
    Thanks a million for that
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

Hi Guys , I have just bought a Aqua Blaster , In the process of commissioning it
    bought for refinishing Alloy casings for Motor cycles

will be doing work in about 2 weeks

contact via email is

philgunn@iol.ie

Phil

Hi
    Galway
    Just did some vapour blasting over the weekend. have a look at the attachments
    Cheers
    Tony

jasus galway you have a big one there and your wife must be very happy lol:D
    what type of business are you in because we get calls from time to time about that sort of stuff
    Tony

We do all sorts of things, one of which is: www.quinnrv.com and this is it in action...... www.facebook.com/quinnrv as well has more pics on it

Ode To The Motorist

website has changed to www.tadltd.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

website has changed to www.tadltd.ie

Hi taditd I just came across this post while I was looking for soda blasting, I am doing up a 1958 evinrude outboard see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056564202 I started doing a bit of sanding today and thought it bight be handy to get it blasted instead as there are a lot of nooks and crannies in the engine and shaft that will be awkward to get at. Is this something you could do and if so what sort of price would we be talking about "pm if you like"

Thanks
    This is the easy part :D

2012-03-05171540.jpg

Vapour blasting will clean the metal to international standard SA 2.5. This cleans the metal and removes all contaminants, if this is not done your new paint will flake off within a year.Unforately just sanding will damage the etch and cost more because you will need an etch primer before painting.Vapour blasting your parts will re etch the surface so that you can re paint it very easily. When your engine was produced in 1958 it was etched so your paint will grip. Guige price is €30 each side.
    Check the website www.tadltd.ie or call 086-814-8118

Hi All just in Response , I also provide the above service to customers in the cork area

pg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks taditd for a great job the vapor blasting worked a treat with no damage to the aluminium and a perfect etched finish to hold the primer, plus he's a nice guy :D

2012-03-15103517.jpg

Just a quick post to show you the finish and if you want to see the bits inbetween http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/EVINRUDE%2018%20hp%20fastwin/?albumview=slideshow

DSCN9115.jpg

2012-05-11093751.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

anyone still doing this?

• Advertisement

Yes I do aqua blasting down here
    As a guide price for a stripped carb €25

Regards
    Phil

Www.db-Moto.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

philgunn wrote: »
    Yes I do aqua blasting down here
    As a guide price for a stripped carb €25

Regards
    Phil

Www.db-Moto.ie

is that the same as vapour blasting?
    if so how much to do a cortina bonnet?it has the laquer pealing and has surface rust on about 30% of surface.'s about 4ft x 4ft.

Yes the same, but my cabinet is not large enough to take a 4' bonnet I think you need to get that Soda Blasted will remove all the paint but not any rust patches

Aquablast mainly suits alloy components and you end up with a satin finish

Sorry cannot offer soda blast

Pg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Philgunn .......I have an unused Soda Blast set up and a few ton of soda if you want to start ..... :rolleyes:

.....I know a lad who has just bought the vapour blasting kit and is doing it as an extra service from his engineering business. He's based in Co Louth, some before/after sample pics :

Before

213917.jpg

After

213918.jpg

Will post up his business name/no as soon as I find it - can't find it right now.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement