Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LIDL Jacks and stands coming up again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Recent threads indicate theres a herd of negative posts coming this way in spite of these things adhereing to safety standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I bought both the stands and the jack a few years ago from Lidl. No problems at all.

They adhere to the TUV safety standards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

To be honest lads, I wouldn't cheap out on axle stands. It's not like any other part where it's a bit of a hassle if it fails, if those stands were to slip you're dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    To be honest lads, I wouldn't cheap out on axle stands. It's not like any other part where it's a bit of a hassle if it fails, if those stands were to slip you're dead.

but if they are built to the same standards as more expensive stands..... it better than getting ripped off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The kids have enough Meccano to play with with out any more. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Someone start a CT thread on this please. "The sneaky Germans are trying to eliminate DIY mechanics.....".

Rtdh, maybe you could oblige?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The kids have enough Meccano to play with with out any more. :pac:

What a crap joke. Really really crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

What a crap joke. Really really crap.

That was a joke?? I dont get it..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

I was servicing the car last year, using a pair of axle stands bought from Lidl.

Jacked the car up on one side, put under axle stands, did the same to the other side, noticed a bit of sideways movement but didnt' think anything of it.. Serviced car. Let down one side of the car and there was an aweful lot of loud creaking! When I jacked up the other side to release the stand, the stand itself slumped to one side. The weld in the internal tube/pipe had failed on one of the legs!! I have a feeling this happened when jacking UP the car so i was pretty lucky to get away with it.

This was only the second time they were used.

If you're buying. Check the welds internally first and see what you think of them... They don't look like the best welds I've ever seen (big balls of it, non uniform, some to the left/right of where they should be)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Magown3 wrote: »
    I was servicing the car last year, using a pair of axle stands bought from Lidl.

Jacked the car up on one side, put under axle stands, did the same to the other side, noticed a bit of sideways movement but didn't' think anything of it.. Serviced car. Let down one side of the car and there was an awful lot of loud creaking! When I jacked up the other side to release the stand, the stand itself slumped to one side. The weld in the internal tube/pipe had failed on one of the legs!! I have a feeling this happened when jacking UP the car so i was pretty lucky to get away with it.

This was only the second time they were used.

If you're buying. Check the welds internally first and see what you think of them... They don't look like the best welds I've ever seen (big balls of it, non uniform, some to the left/right of where they should be)
    You are very luck you didn't end up wearing a wooden overcoat.

Anything that involves structure or support that a life depends on should be only be welded by a qualified or coded welder and not someone working in a sweatshop earning minimum wage in with a mig.

I have done basic welding serving my time and can at least tell the difference between a "flit" that has penetration and a "snot". Most of the cheaper DIY type axle stands are held together with "snots".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Magown3 wrote: »

Jacked the car up on one side, put under axle stands, did the same to the other side, noticed a bit of sideways movement but didnt' think anything of it..

These are not supposed to be used in this way ! If you read the instructions properly. Using 2 together should only be done one one side of the car.
    Mind you I have also done this myself but have found that the one on the opposite side can be pushed sideways which is a pressure i think they were not designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Axle stands are always to be used in pairs, simultaneously, in front or in the rear.

They are designed to withstand vertical force only, not horizontally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

uncle-mofo wrote: »

If any axle stands were to slip you would be dead... that is the most stupid point..

Ive had these for a couple of years now.. many a car has been on them and never a problem.. They conform with all safety standards as much as the expensive brands..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whatever about the axle stands, their 6 Euro telescopic wheel brace is well worth buying (and keeping in the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Any bit of kit that you use that could fail and cause injury or fatality should be checked regularly for signs of damage or wear etc.

- German made kit tends to be fairly no-nonsense and durably functional; Nobody on here could convince me than anything else is better or safer simply because it cost more to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have them a while, hasn't killed me yet *touch wood*

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

i'm still alive too....apparently!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Bought these in Halfords in Newry on the way back from Belfast.

Extremely solid, seemingly well made, have a very good range of height adjustment and held my 1700kg car up for 6 hours with nary a bother.

Well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Tragedy wrote: »
    Bought these in Halfords in Newry on the way back from Belfast.
    I have those, and wish I hadn't. I've got the bit of skin between my thumb and index finger caught on the whilst unratcheting a couple of times, and they're cumbersome to store as the stand doesn't fold up, unlike the Lidl ones.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Whatever about the axle stands, their 6 Euro telescopic wheel brace is well worth buying (and keeping in the car)

That's unbelieveably handy, not only for loosening lug nuts, but for opening/loosening brake calipers and even the driveshaft nut when doing a CV joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

How? I just pull the lever and let the arm drop to the ground, don't try catch it or anything.

I just keep them in their box with the arms lying between them, it's handy as I can feck my wheel chocks in their too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I have a pair of the axel stands and they are grand, never gave an ounce of trouble. One thing I did notice about the jack thou, I was recently checking the top suspension arms on the car for play so had the car jacked up for a few mins, I also put a spare wheel under it just incase as the car was on the trolley jack.

The jack does drop quiet significantly over the space of a few mins! Something to be aware of and also to point out the importance of using axel stands and not to go under the car while supported by the jack alone. The trolley jack was rated to 2 tonnes and the car was 1700kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

dont know about the stands but we have a couple of the jacks have lifted over 3000kgs with 1 of them , not very high, just enough to get a bottle jack under the axle, on one of trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

No expert on axel stands but here is a good alternative, in my view, if you are a bit concerned over Lidl's ones...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-64431-Ratchet-Style-Stands/dp/B0001K9Z50/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1266617670&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Draper ones for 18/19 Euro.

They have a SWL of 2 tonne PER stand..

You get free delivery if you spend over £25..

They look better than the Lidl ones and I'll be ordering them next time I buying off amamzon.

Anybody any reviews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A couple of cinder blocks under the car also suffice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....seeing as we're talking LIDL, I see THESE which are worth a punt......or 3.99 :D

For what you say ? Any one who's ever had to make a gasket for something, and cut those pesky bolt-holes (especially on 'bikes, which have a lot of such holes ...), they beat the **** out of faffing about with a knife.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Good thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

very clever thinking

• Advertisement
Advertisement