Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a new radiator

Options
  • 18-02-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I’m looking at installing a new radiator in the little ones room, it’s a box room so the radiator is only a single a little less than a meter wide. If I get a similar but double am I right in thinking it will double the heat output in the room?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

You'll defo increase output but hard type exactly how much without knowing make of either rad. You might be increasing output more than twice but again cant say for sure without knowing manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Thanks for that it's the coldest room in the house the only bedroom with two exterior walls. I didn't realise there was a difference with makes what should I be looking at? I was just thinking of going to a Heat Merchants am I right in thinking it would be better value & advice than the DIY stores?

Always seems to be a problem when rooms have more than one external wall, who ever plumbed your house mustn't of factored in the external walls, happens a fair bit. I find some match rad size to room size with out thinking of walls, windows and ceilings.

Last time I checked heat merchants sell stella rads they are grand, not that much of difference in output between all makers to be honest so find the best price you can, heat merchants / DIY store wont really matter that much when changing rad in just one room. Heat merchants will more or less be cheaper but sometimes you never know, shop around if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭J.R.

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Thanks for that it's the coldest room in the house the only bedroom with two exterior walls. I didn't realise there was a difference with makes what should I be looking at? I was just thinking of going to a Heat Merchants am I right in thinking it would be better value & advice than the DIY stores?

I had the same problem - bathroom & box room were the coldest rooms in the house as both had two external walls.

I installed foil - backed thermalboard on all the external walls in the house. Made a hugh difference to comfort levels.....definitely worth the time, effort, expense and energy.

Thanks for the info. Is there anything I should watch out for when swopping out the rad.
    I was going to
    Close both valves.
    Drain the rad (Any ideas on what's the least messy way to do this?)
    Mount the new one
    Open the heating system top up valve in the hotpress
    Open the inflow and bleed valve
    Let it fill and close bleed valve
    Finally open the outflow valve
    How does that sound?

• Advertisement

J.R. wrote: »
    I had the same problem - bathroom & box room were the coldest rooms in the house as both had two external walls.

I installed foil - backed thermalboard on all the external walls in the house. Made a hugh difference to comfort levels.....definitely worth the time, effort, expense and energy.

For now its only that room thats the problem and its already that Kingspan stuff I think its just a case of the rad not being up to the job.

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Is there anything I should watch out for when swopping out the rad.
    I was going to
    Close both valves.
    Drain the rad (Any ideas on what's the least messy way to do this?)
    Mount the new one
    Open the heating system top up valve in the hotpress
    Open the inflow and bleed valve
    Let it fill and close bleed valve
    Finally open the outflow valve
    How does that sound?

Turn off both rad valves, drain out any pressure through rad bleed (leave bleed open).

Find a large black bag (no holes) position bag around rad valve in a way it will catch (all) water when rad valve is disconnected. When you break open rad valve (radiator nut not nut on pipe) lift rad slightly to allow water to flow out.

Takes ages for a rad to drain out into black bag, if you can find a helper, after you've opened one side into bag, close bleed this will slow down flow out of rad, open up other valve at rad again into a black bag. When both sides are open lift up one side off bracket and cover opening with thumb, then helper lifts up other side and covers opening with thumb.

With both openings covered flip rad around so openings are now on top then carry rad out, still covering openings (not a drop will spill).

All thats left is to fit new brackets and connect new rad, depending on what type of rad valves you have could be a straight swap, before buying valves check old ones first, their is two types either union or compression @ rad side, make sure you buy a pair that will reconnect to old valve. You might not be able to remove tail pieces from older rad, this is why I mention matching new with old. If you have TRV fitted be careful leaving a TRV open, blank open end if possible.

When all's done, open up heating fill valve, open rad both valves and bleed. Turn heating on, find out which pipe heats first and place wheel head rad cap on that pipe (open fully) the other pipe is return which requires lock shield cap, valve shouldn't be open any more than two turns (from closed).

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sound advice by items. Before you fit new double rad, bear in mind that the rad valves will be further from the wall then a single rad. Will you pipes move to match new distance? If may mean you rad valves won't be perfectly straight..

Excellent thanks again for all the advice guys it's payday friday so will probably try get it done over the next fortnight probably just in time for some unseasonably warm weather:D - I'll let you know how it goes. thanks again for your time items

Advertisement