Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi/Spsv test questions

Options
  • 18-02-2010 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi people,

I sat the spsv test today and failed by 5% on the area knowledge for Dublin...very sad i know!!! So in anyways i'm booked again for next week and thought i'd try and get a few questions off other people that might have sat the test recently and might be able to remember 1 or 2 they were asked. Even if ya cant remember the 4 choice answers the question itself would be enough.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paulius51

Hi Gordon,

Sorry about your SPSV test. I'm booked to do the test for Donegal in March for Donegal county (3,000 sq.k). Driving from my end of the county to the other end is the same distance as driving from Dublin to Belfast - 40 different regional roads to memorise connecting towns and villages I've never been to in my life and probably never will! Can't help you on the Dublin questions - I left there 33 years ago but the topic is worthy of serious discussion as the guidelines on the test leave the question possibilities wide open as to the level of detail and study required to prepare for the test. At least with the Driver Theory Test you know the type and structure of the 851 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Read Irish Independent yesterday...only 8% pass skills dev.test and after repeated tries 19 %.I am waiting for Disp. Op.Lic despite passing exam.and being fully compliant and paying fee 4 months ago. What do I do now ? Close a business or operate illegally? The more legal you are the more rules are imposed on you. I do do not see any purge on the illegal operators. A lot of drivers who are legal now will be illegal after 1 Jan 2012 and are making no secret of the fact. Cannot blame them really. Why replace your car next year under 9 year rule and then be in debt and unable to work because you fail a stupid exam. Yes "stupid", who the hell needs to know about towns you never visit or about taximeters when you drive a hackney or limo. They have made and chopped and changed the rules so much in the last 2 years their staff does not understand them and are failing to be compliant. My strong advice to newcomers is to forget the industry as it will send you to an early grave. If you are not looking over your shoulder to make sure the customer does not puke or do a runner you will be watching out for the T.R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Kiddy 2

:cool:
    Gordon84 wrote: »
    Hi people,

I sat the spsv test today and failed by 5% on the area knowledge for Dublin...very sad i know!!! So in anyways i'm booked again for next week and thought i'd try and get a few questions off other people that might have sat the test recently and might be able to remember 1 or 2 they were asked. Even if ya cant remember the 4 choice answers the question itself would be enough.

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Really messy thread.

If you want to help someone out then help them out. Do not advertise your services and do not post your email address or phone number.

I'm treating it as a reasonably genuine mistake and not banning anyone for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tickler2004

My dad has been a taxi driver for years. I'm not 100 % sure of what this test is and dad is 68 and isn't great with computers.

The first time he sat the test the guy in charge rushed him and he ended up only having 30 mins to complete the test and failed.

He sat it again today and even though this time he got the right amount of time to do the test he said that the questions he were asked were all based in Dublin.

He's a taxi driver in Mayo.

Can I ask anyone is this correct?

Is there an industrial text and a geographical test?

Can anyone help me out on this one?
    He's gonna crack!

Thank you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Decolino

If your dad is a taxi driver he should only have been given industral knowledge test and not area knowledge...........the industrial knowledge handbook and dvd can be obtained from the taxi regulator on their website.........

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

My dad has been a taxi driver for years. I'm not 100 % sure of what this test is and dad is 68 and isn't great with computers.

The first time he sat the test the guy in charge rushed him and he ended up only having 30 mins to complete the test and failed.

He sat it again today and even though this time he got the right amount of time to do the test he said that the questions he were asked were all based in Dublin.

He's a taxi driver in Mayo.

Can I ask anyone is this correct?

Is there an industrial text and a geographical test?

Can anyone help me out on this one?
    He's gonna crack!

Thank you! :)

Hi Tickler2004

There are two sections of the test reequired for new entrants. They are Industry Knowledge and Area Knowledge.

Existing drivers only have to site the Industry Knowledge section of the test (54 Questions).

Unfortunately this section includes parts of chapter 4 - Area Knowledge and fares etc.

The questions in relation to the area knowledge are based on a fictious map supplied on the day. They require a person to be able to read a map and identify a road beside a given place of interest such as a school, college, health centre or museum for example.

The worst thing about this is that the map is fictious and when people see it they don't recognise any places on it and become confused.

There are also questions on fares such as what is the change-over speed or when does Tarrif B start etc.

In fact they can ask questions on any part of the Official Manual.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mairt30th

Did this free test online before the SPSV test and it really helped http://quizlet.com/ with the Industry knowledge section.
    Also here is a few of the questions on the Area Knowledge section.

• What 2 streets adjoin Camden Row?
    • What streets are closed when a major match is being played at Croke Park?
    • Name the national road from Dublin to Ashbourne?
    • Best route from Red Cow to Ranelagh?
    • Areas that border Ballymun, Santry and Poppintree?
    • Name the areas on either side of the Rock Road?
    • What road from Dublin brings you to Cabinteely? Stillorgan Road
    • What 2 areas are either end of the Snugborough Road?
    • What roads run adjacent to the Grand Canal?
    • Where in Dublin is the Rotunda hospital?
    • Where in Dublin is the Eye And Ear Hospital?
    • What area do you drive through from Ballybrack to Dalkey?
    • Best route from Jobstown to Rathmines?
    • Where are the Bewleys hotels located in Dublin?
    • What roads join with Dean Street?
    • What road joins to Blackhorse Avenue?
    • What address for the Dept. of Education?
    • What streets link Lower Leeson Street?
    • Best route from Connolly Station to the Clarindon Hotel?
    • Taxi Regulator address?
    • Two areas either side of the Rathoath Road.?
    • Streets linking Griffith Avenue?
    • Rds main entrance?
    • Streets linking Thomas Street?
    25. Greek St. Joins with which two streets?

26. Which Road is Mount Temple School?

27 Where is the Dental Hospital?

28. In which area is Dunsink Observatory?

Mairt30th

Your questions are misleading and could easily confuse people. The Area Knowledge Test is a Multiple Choice Test and not the way you pose the questions.

You are not asked which two roads adjoin anywhere and it does not what streets are close for major matches.

The questions are posed like this:
    Which of the following adjoins Camden Street?

Pleasants Street:o

Camden Street:D

Kevin Street:o

Montague Street:D

Which of the following are closed for major matches in Croke Park?

Jones' Road:D

Drumcondra Road:o

Whitworth Road:o

North Strand Road:o

There are always four possible answers and only one is correct. The answer is always on the screen.

By the way there is a CD for the Industry Knowledge for sale with up to 500 multiple choisce questions on it I believe.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJLCH

hi, were could i buy this cd for dublin testing?

• Advertisement

JJLCH wrote: »
    hi, were could i buy this cd for dublin testing?
    You could try www.psvtesttraining.com
    They give some good advice and offer over 2500 questions & answers.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jatinder singh

DavieB wrote: »
    Mairt30th

Your questions are misleading and could easily confuse people. The Area Knowledge Test is a Multiple Choice Test and not the way you pose the questions.

You are not asked which two roads adjoin anywhere and it does not what streets are close for major matches.

There are always four possible answers and only one is correct. The answer is always on the screen.

By the way there is a CD for the Industry Knowledge for sale with up to 500 multiple choisce questions on it I believe.

Hope this helps.

where i can buy CD plzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jatinder singh

where i can buy cd from in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18 korb

DavieB wrote: »
    Mairt30th

Hope this helps.

Really? and where exactly you get the cd from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Is there a CD or not????

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sajid.ahmed

hi all any one know anything about area knowledge for carlow i am trying to pass taxi test but no information on area knowledge thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 josychn

I can help to get pass Industry and AK test.

Advertisement