Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external insulation costs?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Can anyone explain why is external insulation so damn expensive when all it is rigid insulation stuck to the wall with render over it. It should be the cheapest option. It sounds so simple im tempted to try a DIY job on it in my new build.

Whats the best quote anyones got for it and where are you based?

edit:

altered title

syd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

I was quoted 70 euro plus vat per m2 for 150mm EPS - by more than one company. Prices did not include window openings, just the actual wall area. Granted Im renovating so no pipes to move, and no soffit/ fascia to move, just 3 windows and an esb meter to work around, and I have scaffolding up so my prices were always going to be competitive. Price included below-ground insulation. I was also quoted 125 euro per m2 plus vat by another supplier for the same job.

Theres nothing to say that the lower quote will be better value for money but the sample house I saw that one guy had done looked good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

Cheaper spending the money on extra heat.
    Insulate the attic anyway.
    Then work out what you would save on heating if you got the external insulation. See if its cost effective. I bet the payback is a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Can you please pm me the company you got quotes of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭justflow1983

Guell72 wrote: »
    Cheaper spending the money on extra heat.
    Insulate the attic anyway.
    Then work out what you would save on heating if you got the external insulation. See if its cost effective. I bet the payback is a long long time.

Its not just a financial question. Well insulated houses are more comfortable to be in, as they have fewer cold/damp areas and stay warm in between heating cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

We've been researching this and have been for quite sometime now as we're living in an older house with a lot of drafts. Heating it more doesn't really solve the problem. We've only gotten one quote for our 4bed detached house - and with the grant of €4K for this type of work it would work out very expensive (over €20K). I believe that even if we wanted to go with this firm we need two other quotes to supply with the grant form. The firm we've been speaking with seem to be reputable and professional. We stopped at a house they are doing recently and the workers were happy to show us around and the materials. That said, sometimes it pays to shop around.

Also, does anyone really know how long this stuff lasts for exactly? Also, how durable do you think it will be longterm? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 tomas1

dfader wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Can anyone explain why is external insulation so damn expensive when all it is rigid insulation stuck to the wall with render over it. It should be the cheapest option. It sounds so simple im tempted to try a DIY job on it in my new build.

Whats the best quote anyones got for it and where are you based?

edit:

altered title

syd

WHY?

Because of the NSAI SEAI its a joke

Advertisement