Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing a leak

Options
  • 18-02-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I'm going to use OXYPIC to seal a leak in the CH. It is a small leak which reduces the pressure over a 3-4 week period.

Given the system is operational and balanced I'd rather not have to drain the system. Would it be ok to seal off one rad and pour the sealent in re-fill the rad and hope it circulates when the system is fired or do I have to drain the system and poor the sealent in via the boiler.

Any ideas??

Cheers
    Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah, pick the smallest rad, preferably one that hangs over a tiled floor.
    Isolate the radiator by turning off both valves. Either open unions on rad valves and thumb the ends of rad and remove or use a basin to catch water before removal.

Once rad is off pour in sealant, now be prepared to lose a little bit as you re fit rad. Do it as quickly as possible. Turn back on rad, vent and away you go.

Don't bother trying to inject sealant into rad vent or blank at top if valve, it doesn't work so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Thanks Mickey - I'll give it a go

Cheers
    martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Just a word of caution, chemical in leak seal solution can be fairly aggressive if not diluted correctly, its not something you can skip on or do things in handy way. If not diluted enough leak seal chemical can damage delicate boiler parts so do everything mentioned as per instructions.

I've found leak seal works well but only on low pressure systems, higher pressure less chance chemical can go off when it meets air. Leak seal is only a temp fix, I'm sure you know all about so plan to fix leak proper at some stage.

Advertisement