Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor heating queries?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have 2 questions that i hope ye could help me with.
    1:I have 8 zones and my plumber never marked switch is switch. Anyway of identifing the zones easily.
    2:I have geothermal heating the UFH. Its been hooked up now with nearly 3 years. Of recent it seems like it not heating the floor evenly. Does it need to be refilled on a regular basis?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yes,
    turn off stats to all but one zone. The zone that shows flow through flow meter at manifold is the one.It should be the only one warm too. You can also check which actuator is getting power.

Flow rates have to be right, depending on size of zone and how far it is from manifold.

Best get a pro in for a few hours to commission correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

hi micky
    thanks for the quick reply last night. dont have actuators and dont have flow meters.
    what are the advantages of the flow meters and do i really need them. if so, what costs follow them?
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

You should have flow meters along with actuators, both can be found located on underfloor heating manifold, I cant see how your system could work without either, saying that anything is possible these days.

Room stats are wired back to central control box normally over heating manifold then actuators from manifold wired into control box. Flow meters are just plastic spring loaded gauges if you look at manifold you'll see them, either above or below actuators.

Flow is calculated in Ltr per min, you'll see small numbers 1,2,3 etc on a clear plastic type cap, sometimes a small spring and a red pin for reading how many Ltr per min. Once you see whats mentioned you'll find the flow meters.

Its fairly easy to see whats flowing after turning on / off room stats etc while heating is on. The difficult part is finding out where each are flowing. You might find one room having more than one zone, other rooms might not be controlled by actuator (open zone / zones). Depending on who installed your system you might be able to obtain underfloor computer generated plans of your installation, this plan will give you best idea of whats going where. Track them down if you can. I've found working out zones from scratch a bit of night mare to be honest be prepared for a bit of difficulty.

Advertisement