Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best product for getting a shine on bodywork

Options
  • 18-02-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

quick question,
    what is the best product/method for getting or restoring a shine to the paintwork on a car.
    after washing it just looks a little matte- hoping for the secret to shine or maybe there isn't one. Car is 12 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it that the colour has gone completely dull/faded? If so, something like T cut would bring it back like new.
    Maybe it just needs a good polish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

T-Cut will restore the colour, Auto Glym will give it a nice shine ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used this on my car the other week, and it did a great job. Was kinda apprehensive as I'm totally clueless when it comes to stuff like this, but I did the whole car with it myself (was very proud :p) and it came up brilliantly! Lovely and shiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

It depends how much time and money you want to put into getting a good finish on the paint. We just finished refreshing the paint on a 9 year old M5 this afternoon, which was fairly badly oxidised.

m52.jpg

The products used were Meguiar's #83 on a Meguiar's Cutting pad. This removed the oxidation and swirls. Some bits (bonnet & boot) needed two whacks to be completely free of swirls. Once that bit was done I used Meguiar's #80 with a polishing pad. This removes the marring left behind by #83. I then used Meguiar's #80 on a finishing pad to restore the gloss and bring up a nice deep shine.

m51z.jpg

It was then waxed up to protect the newly exposed paint.

m59h.jpg

It's like peeling off old skin... only it takes a while.

If you don't want to go to that much time or expense, this kit should make a marked improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Thanks for the replies. would i find these products mentioned in car assessories shops only?
    stupid question but how would i go about polishing it. apply product and then what to clean it off with- soft cloth and how long needed with goood old elbow grease?

• Advertisement

Thanks seperate,
    Finish looks excellent. Looking for a more inexpensive option but realise that i'll be perhaps more comprised with the result.
    Clueless before and now so much the better, thanks to all for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Just don't forget to wax after using something like T-Cut and or polish, otherwise it will go dull again soon enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the best general polish is auto glym polish. i use it for polishing the tractors. all the cheaper stuff is dung

How do i apply wax properly?

i just squirt a bit onto the bonnet or whatever and spread it around with a rag. then go back 10 minutes later and wipe the residue off and bobs your uncle. im not an entuiast though

• Advertisement

the best general wax is auto glym polish. i use it for polishing the tractors. all the cheaper stuff is dung

Polish isn't wax! :eek: Polish is abrasive, it does nothing to protect the paint - that's what wax or sealant is for.

Anything that says it can do more than one thing is usually a lie or so much a compromise it's as good as useless, e.g. Turtle Wax Zip Wax.

I'd recommend some shampoo for cleaning (Halfords stuff is fine), then a clay bar for cleaning the stuff you can't see (you'd be surprised at the crap it picks up), then polish if needed, and then wax (I used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, seemed to last long enough and is cheap). There's a Meguiar's clay bar kit which has a couple of bars, wax, a microfibre cloth and some sort of spray - think it was only about €30.

sorry meant polish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i find turtle color magic to be excellent

Polish isn't wax! :eek: Polish is abrasive, it does nothing to protect the paint - that's what wax or sealant is for.

Anything that says it can do more than one thing is usually a lie or so much a compromise it's as good as useless, e.g. Turtle Wax Zip Wax.

I'd recommend some shampoo for cleaning (Halfords stuff is fine), then a clay bar for cleaning the stuff you can't see (you'd be surprised at the crap it picks up), then polish if needed, and then wax (I used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, seemed to last long enough and is cheap). There's a Meguiar's clay bar kit which has a couple of bars, wax, a microfibre cloth and some sort of spray - think it was only about €30.

Cleaner Wax isn't really a wax either - its more of a cleanser. Should still protect with a proper wax after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Meguiars Clay bar kit, then Tech Wax 2.0.

Used it on my current car and last one. Ones black metallic and the other was wine metallic. Works extremely well on the black car considering I'm of a lazy disposition and usually throw the car through a drive through wash:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If you can get autosmart mirror image its the best. The autoglym isnt bad either. That halfords dung wont keep the shine. I would compound the car first then mirror image using a twin head buffing machine

malcox wrote: »
    If you can get autosmart mirror image its the best. The autoglym isnt bad either. That halfords dung wont keep the shine. I would compound the car first then mirror image using a twin head buffing machine

If you're going to go to the bother of using a machine - there is better products out there than Mirror Image (see my post above). It's a half decent 'All in one' but if you have the machine out, you might as well use proper products.

The kit that I linked to before has Autoglym Clay Kit, HD Paint Cleanser & HD Wax... it'd make a big difference to the finish on almost any car - the clay to remove bonded contaminants, the cleanser to remove any oxidation and fill in the swirl marks - and then the HD wax to add some protection. If you look up reviews for the items individually, they all perform well.

Autoglym Deluxe Kit - Clay, HD Cleanser & HD Wax - €95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The autosmart leaves swirl marks allrite. I also use the carnuaba wax. I think ill try that autoglym

Seperate wrote: »
    Cleaner Wax isn't really a wax either - its more of a cleanser. Should still protect with a proper wax after!

I was suspecting that too, but I think it has at least some carnauba wax or something in it. When I get a proper car I'll get some proper wax :D

Advertisement