Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing ownership of new car after availing of Scrappage scheme

Options
  • 18-02-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi there,

If my brother purchases a new car and scraps his old one can he transfer ownership of the new car to my father right after the purchase of the new car or does he have to hold on to the new car for 12 months or so?

My father has a 00 car and it qualifies for scrappage but he would rather keep this one and get my brothers scrapped and this is the reason my brother is looking at scrapping his car and buying the new one in his name.

Any info would be great!
    muchos04

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

Once its yours its yours you can do whatever you like with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Is that true? I was told that I can't do it by one of the salesmen at a well known garage that you have to keep the new car in your name for a period of 12 months???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

muchos04 wrote: »
    Is that true? I was told that I can't do it by one of the salesmen at a well known garage that you have to keep the new car in your name for a period of 12 months???

He must be refferring to the car being scrapped:

"The car being scrapped must have been insured for use on the road in the name of the registered owner for at least 12 months in the 18 months immediately prior to the date of scrappage."
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-scrappage-scheme.html

... once your bro buys the car he can pass it on straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

muchos04 wrote: »

Nah sure what if you write it off or it gets repo'd? I know thats not the best example but once its yours its yours they can hardly take it back off you or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know there are ways of making you keep a car for a certain period. They currently use this is cases where you brought a car in from uk and availed of a vrt exemption. There is then a note on the reg cert stating its not to be sold for a given period. It is also used in cases where people get their car Vrt & Vat free under those disabled driver schemes. Again they must keep the car for 2 years.
    I dont think they are doing this for the scrappage scheme though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Thanks for all your answers on this one guys. I looked at the idea of sourcing the car for my bro abroad but when you convert the sterling and pay the VRT there's not much difference....plus the clocks are in MPH with the KPH below which is hard to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Don't forget that the car will now have 2 previous owners when/if he ever decides to sell it on. Not that it matters much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't forget that the car will now have 2 previous owners when/if he ever decides to sell it on. Not that it matters much.

There was a time when this would have been important but with all the stuff coming in from the uk with delivery miles etc, it wont be unusual anymore to have 2 quick owners at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I did this for the last scrappage scheme - swoped with my Dad.

It wouldn't make any sense to put in a restriction like this and the car dealers wouldn't want it. If financial circumstances changed would mean could not sell your car.

Advertisement