Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 or 2008 petrol Focus?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

friend of mine is importing a focus next week.

shes looking at a 1.6 petrol zetec model.

choice of december 2007 or january 2008 - same price and vrt makes little difference.

question is which one will sell better when she gors to sell it?

Road Tax is the thing. 447 euro emissions versus 445 euro for pre 2008 for a 1.6.

it comes down to this...in a year or two do you think the emissions of 157grams will be cheaper than a 1.4?
    Imo the 2008 car will sell better. which one is the better buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

I'd go for the 08, better resale price in the long run.

As for road tax prices, have you ever know road tax to go down. Only going one way I'd say and not the way you want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

kebrosnan wrote: »
    I'd go for the 08, better resale price in the long run.

As for road tax prices, have you ever know road tax to go down. Only going one way I'd say and not the way you want it to.

so true, taxes will go up but just wondering if the band d co2 (157) or old 1.6 tax will fair better/worse...anyone got a crystal ball?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Neither I would say, people won't care whether it's a 2007 or 2008, the only thing people will be looking in a few years time is diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If she is going 08 then it makes more sense to import the TDCi version.

I know someone with a pre facelifted March 08 petrol Focus looking to trade up and he is finding it difficult to get a decent trade-in allowance for it. He is almost getting similar money as if it were a 07 Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't pay over 8500 for an 07 Zetec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

bazz26 wrote: »
    If she is going 08 then it makes more sense to import the TDCi version.

+1.

Petrol 08s will be very rare in years to come. Should be lots of Focus diesel import options.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭batperson

This is my fault..I told her go for the petrol as i heard the diesel would be less reliable. That was based on the honest john website and a few threads here on boards.

which is the best focus diesel engine 2008 - pre facelift?

1.6, 1.8 or the 2.0 litre?

is it the same engine as the new mondeo? either way anyone who knows please let me know as i already told her the 1.6 petrol engine was far better and cheaper to run (service cost and reliability over the long term).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

batperson wrote: »
    This is my fault..I told her go for the petrol as i heard the diesel would be less reliable. That was based on the honest john website and a few threads here on boards.

which is the best focus diesel engine 2008 - pre facelift?

1.6, 1.8 or the 2.0 litre?

is it the same engine as the new mondeo? either way anyone who knows please let me know as i already told her the 1.6 petrol engine was far better and cheaper to run (service cost and reliability over the long term).

1.8 is an old engine, abrupt power delivery, I would avoid.
    2.0 is the Peugeot/Citroen unit, much better but detuned for Ireland, the UK gets the proper version.
    1.6 is also a good engine, not far off the 1.8 but smoother and more modern. Think is has a DPF which can cause problems.

I would get the UK 2.0 or a 1.6.

BTW I have the UK 2.0 and it is a fantastic engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

In the 1.8's favour is that it has been around at least since the original Mondeo came out, and it is a well tried and trusted engine.

A quieter/smoother etc engine is all well and good but if it doesn't work then there's not much point

The 1.8 is basically bulletproof apart from the DMF but that goes in every diesel.

The 1.6 I'm not convinced about reliability wise, I've heard some terrible stories about these, people either seem to get a bulletproof one or a bad one with these engines, DPFs definitely give trouble, I've also heard about turbos and injectors going on them as well, the 2.0 I don't know enough about but I expect that it suffers from the same issues since it is from the same engine family.

Advertisement