Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini One / Cooper - good or bad idea as a first car

Options
  • 18-02-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I posted here before under the belief that as a new driver I could only get insured on a 1.4ltr. How wrong was I! .... 1.6 all the way baby!!

Anyhooo.... I love love love minis... just looking for thoughts on this as a first car. 1.6 Mini one or Cooper.

Has anyone here had a mini as their first car or know of anyone who has.

PS. Im not a spotty teenager scrounging off the rents so I def think I can stretch my budget to 9k for a mini and I dont mind waiting a a few months to do it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I would double check with the insurance company. I would imagine that while they may qoute you on a One the cooper might be a different story. All 1.6 cars are not in the same insurance bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

If you can get insured on it then yes they're a gorgeous car and lovely to drive.
    A few of the driving instructors around here use them for teaching learning drivers as they've great all round visibility.

I had the mini one, not sure what the cooper is like.

Tiny boot in them, that's the only thing I didn't like in them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd avoid getting it if you don't class yourself as a decent driver yet, nothing worse then giving it a few dings early on that you will have to look at every day. If your still at the beginner stage I would pick up a nice 1 litre car for €2k and use that until you are settled and then go for the Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Mini One from 2007 I think it was come in a 1.4l which might help you (not sure what prices they are though). I had one and even with the smaller engine it had plenty of power and was nippy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

If you can get insured on it then yes they're a gorgeous car and lovely to drive.

+1

go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

The 1.6 One is a fast car !Never drove a Cooper and WOULDNT assume it felt that much faster in everyday driving .The One felt easily as fast as an MX5 or similar .BEAUTIFUL engine despite nonsense about 'sub standard South American sourced engine from reviewers.Just not great on petrol MPG /economy.VERY little room for rear passengers and luggage .Power steering pump wails like a banshee on all of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I have a Mini Cooper, and it feels very like my very first car, a 205 XS years ago. Like the 205, short gears and engine noise mean it's not the best motorway cruiser, but also make it great fun.

Don't mind people telling you to buy some cheap horrible yoke because you'll only crash it - life is too short. Get the Mini.

Advertisement