Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car

Options
  • 18-02-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

was just wondering what the legal standings are. my mother ordered a renault clio last december, put down deposit, delivery was due mid jan, still no car, now they're saying it'll be another 3 months before delivery.:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depends on what outcome you want, do you want your money back?

Clios are very scarce, especially 3 door models so if you go elsewhere you'll probably be waiting longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

she was hoping for her car. 5 door 1.2 quickshift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

i would consider change car make. i wouldn't hang around that long

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I dunno, I know it's crap having to wait but you won't just pick up a rival model in an automatic. Hang in there.

I'm guessing the car was put on backorder and they were just guessing a delivery time. Doesn't make it right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I dunno, I know it's crap having to wait but you won't just pick up a rival model in an automatic. Hang in there.

Actually, now you mention it, does anyone do a car in that segment that's in any way "off the shelf"? Or are they all big lead times?

The micra used to sell in big numbers as an auto in th elate 90's did it not?

MAybe if people could all help us auto lovers out and start ordering them more often this type of thing could be avoided.:)

• Advertisement

but she did order it in december because it was an auto. i think they're takin the piss. go to rosslare and see them all down there!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

wex96 wrote: »
    but she did order it in december because it was an auto. i think they're takin the piss. go to rosslare and see them all down there!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sure they want the money as much as you want the car. Have you tried calling a few other dealers to see what lead thime they're quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wex96 wrote: »

To be fair, there probably isnt an auto there,and if there is it might not be in the spec/colour etc your mother ordered. I doubt they are telling her 3 months if they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Stekelly wrote: »
    To be fair, there probably isnt an auto there,and if there is it might not be in the spec/colour etc your mother ordered. I doubt they are telling her 3 months if they have one.
    +1
    I agree,the auto is probably an unusual order,they may have to get it shipped in/made to special order.I doubt they are screwing her around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

16 2010 clio's on carzone, 7 of them are 1.2, 5 of those are 5 door, none of them are auto... looks like she'll have to wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

In fairness ordering something as bespoke as an auto in a car that size in December for the new year would usually mean at least a 12 week wait add in scrappage and increased small car demand that caught all distributors with their pants down 3 months would sound about right.

Doesnt mean the renault dealer had to lie either though in order to get a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jesus thats lousy.....

the auto is that much of a special order... feck sake everything else beside the gearbox is the same as a manual car....

crazy wait time.....

dealers complain they have no customers for last year and a bit... they moan they need a scrappage scheme to help get customers.....

they get what they want ... and when the customers come in they are told they have to wait... 3+ months to get your car....
    laughable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dealers dont seem to be carrying much stock. I went looking for the new VW Polo today and managed to find one Diesel one out of the 4/5 places we looked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

robtri wrote: »
    jesus thats lousy.....

the auto is that much of a special order... feck sake everything else beside the gearbox is the same as a manual car....

crazy wait time.....

dealers complain they have no customers for last year and a bit... they moan they need a scrappage scheme to help get customers.....

they get what they want ... and when the customers come in they are told they have to wait... 3+ months to get your car....
    laughable.....

And how is that the dealers fault? I'm sure you are aware they aren't built in a shed 'round back of t'showroom. Cars have to be built on a production line in a factory far, far away. Also, because we are on an island they have to be shipped by boat.

It sucks, but it happens. I ordered a Focus 1.6 Style in Chill last July. Car was eventually delivered about 3 weeks ago. Was waiting around the same time for a Peugeot 807.

Dealers can't afford to carry much stock. There are very few places left offering stocking finance to dealers so more or less everything is now factory order.

The few manufacturer's who carried large amounts of stock are no longer carrying anything after getting badly caught in 08 with hundreds of cars / vans nobody wanted.

If the dealer had the car, they'd gladly supply it and take your money. I'm sure they aren't planning on building a second glass palace with the interest off the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

R.O.R wrote: »

It sucks, but it happens. I ordered a Focus 1.6 Style in Chill last July. Car was eventually delivered about 3 weeks ago.

You can't possibly be happy with that though? Thats a laughable wait, perhaps I wouldn't mind if I was having a custom Bentley built, but for a Focus? You must really have had your heart set on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You can't possibly be happy with that though? Thats a laughable wait, perhaps I wouldn't mind if I was having a custom Bentley built, but for a Focus? You must really have had your heart set on it. :)

Not for me - for a customer (personally I think Chill is a manky colour).

Ordered it just at the wrong time as they were phasing out the 1.8Tdci engine and bringing in the new 1.6's with the additional spec. Turned out alright in the end as the driver ended up with a car that will cost less in BIK, has A/C, Alloys and Bluetooth, and is costing his company less a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Seems to be a huge demand for Renaults at the moment from speaking to a dealer. I've been given an arrival date for my car as mid March, was ordered the last week in January which I suppose is not too bad, but it had better arrive when they say it will !

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

am in the process of ordering a new megane at the moment and the sales guy said if you order anything optional (different from the normal) you will be waiting up to three months.

he was saying they are finding it very hard to get the stock in which is a good complaint for them. apparently they have a 20% stake of all new car buys this year.

Yip, which is why we stuck with the spec of the model we asked for, which to be honest there isn't anything else we would have wanted bar maybe parking sensors. Go order one now, estate anyway, and you'll be looking at May delivery time.

I was parked beside a girl yesterday who was showing her new 5 door Megane to a mate and I wanted to go over and ask how long she was waiting for it but I thought I'd only frighten her and get maced or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

the guys in liffey valley said would be about 6 weeks wait on a megane where as the guys in blanchardstown said about 4 weeks but could come earlier.

• Advertisement

What I was told originally. I'd imagine the time is shorter for a Megane Coupe or hatch as presumably there's more of a market for them so production is higher. I did think it would be the opposite, there'd be a shorter wait for the estate as there wouldn't be as big a demand for them, unfortunately not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

How quickly things change, and good for Renault and others being so busy. No harm waiting a few months anyway, a bit of delayed gratification is good for the soul.

what annoys me is if you go to Rosslare they have a huge compound full of cars, can't belive they ALL belong to customers. car sales is a racked!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement