Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to TCDwifi with Kubuntu Linux

Options
  • 18-02-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hallo,

I rarely bring my laptop into college but recently it has become important so I brought it in today. I connected to TCDwifi-firststeps alright but I can't seem to connect to TCDwifi -- I can neither detect such a network automatically (which I don't think you're supposed to do anyway) nor can I connect after creating a connection with the details they provide. I create the connection, fill in the details, click on it to connect and... nothing, it doesn't even try to connect. Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic btw.

Anyone else have this problem? Sorry if this has been discussed before... I looked around but most Ubuntu/TCD network discussions seem to concern authentification issues but I don't even get that far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Hello, I run Linux Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu) and have been registered for a while now. I can't remember exactly what I did, but it was pretty straight forward. I think I connected to the "firststeps" thing and downloaded an sh file. Bradford_Dissolvable_Agent I think. I ran that with "sudo sh <<name of .sh>>" and was registered. I might be missing a step though, hopefully someone else can comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Thanks. I don't seem to be able to get to that part. It seems my laptop just isn't picking up TCDwifi at all, only TCDwifi-firststeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

TCDwifi is hidden. Once you do steps I mentioned with Firststeps, then go about entering TCDwifi's details into your network applet. As far as I can remember its WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, MSCHAP, PEAP, with TCDwifi as the SSID. I'll get these values for definite tomorrow when I go back into Trinity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Settings I use for ubuntu karmic.

tcdwifi_thumb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

boblong wrote: »
    TCDwifi is hidden. Once you do steps I mentioned with Firststeps, then go about entering TCDwifi's details into your network applet. As far as I can remember its WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, MSCHAP, PEAP, with TCDwifi as the SSID. I'll get these values for definite tomorrow when I go back into Trinity.
    Ah I see. Well as I am not being prompted to download B_D_A, I will download it elsewhere and run it and see what happens.

Though I searched for info on connecting to a hidden network with K9.10 and think I may have found the problem (or a large part of it):
    KNetworkManager cannot connect to a wireless network with a hidden SSID. Install network-manager-gnome via a wired connection as a workaround.
    Bother. Maybe I'll just install that first and see what happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement