Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to live in a studio apartment ??

Options
  • 18-02-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Quick Question.

(Mods - I was gonna post this in the Property forum but I'm looking for a more AH style answer. Brutal honesty etc.... plus a wider readership. But feel free to move if it's TOO out of place)

So.... you know all those little studio apartments, one bedroom flats and TINY cottages (like the ones on Cork Street) that you see on Daft.ie for like E400 - E500 per month - well what's it like to live in one of those?

They're small, but then I guess it would be just you.... and maybe the missus every one and a while. I'm just looking with an intention to rent by summer.

What's it like day to day? Is it like being in a prison cell or do you just get used to it?

Also ... how are the bills? I imagine heating etc would be fook all:o

Thanks,
    Dean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Like in Friends.

But real.

And not in New York.

And about a 1/100th of the size.

And if two of you are a struggling actor and a waitress you get fucked out for not being able to afford your rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Acc & property.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I'm wondering about this aswell, I'm sick of sharing at them moment and would like a place by myself (or at least I think I do). I'd be interested in hearing other people views.

I assume a studio apartment is what was called a bedsit back when I lived in one and it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons:

For me, the cons were:

More expensive than sharing

Slightly claustrophobic although this depends of your lifestyle. I was in college/working part-time/out a lot so I didn't care, but if you're somebody that likes a lot of time in, you can feel a little entombed

Cooking tended to stink the place out a bit

Lack of storage space

Pros:

Own jacks (I assume)

No living on top of others

Own space

No disputes about having your partner stay over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

I lived in a studio in Spain for 9 months.
    Twas grand. Cheap. Small, easy to manage, clean etc.
    Had friends over for dinner all the time. Plenty of overnight guests.
    Nay bother.
    And as you said, you'll get used to it in no time. You'll soon forget all about your big mansion.

Bedsits, on the other hand, I never liked.
    Just enough space to move around the bed. Share the bathroom with crazy, unhygienic neighbours.
    Noisy gaffs.

Studio, ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Well they're very small so you wouldn't really be entertaining like having friends around for drinks or anything but I absolutely loved mine. Being tiny it was cheap to heat and it's just lovely having your own space. Granted I was very lucky inthat mine had a separate teeny kitchne with a door you could close so cooking smells weren't that intense int eh bedroom. It's just great though I had mine when I was studying for my masters and it was bliss to have my own space. If you're into fancy fittings or plush places they wouldn't be for you but if you want to get away from sharing and not have to shell out for a one bed it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I like what I'm hearing.

I like my own space. Currently living at home in a family of 6 so I guess it could get lonely by myself, byut 99% of the time I like my own company to work and study. That said, I got plenty of mates and a gf to hang out with (not in the apartment though!!) lol

What about a small house such as this. This, I think, would suit me down to the ground. >>> Link to property ad.

What do y'all think??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've never had a problem living in a studio apartment. The only slight greviences arose when sharing a bedsit.

You may have problems if you want to have friends stay over, but that really depends on how much comfort your friends need, or the layout of the apartment in question.

Another disadvantage to a bedsit is (usually) the open-plan kitchen. As already mentioned, the smells of your cooking linger for longer when you can't shut a door on them. Of course, this can mean lower heating bills, as the oven will heat your entire living space!

What's good about the bedsit you linked to is it has a big fridge-freezer. In most budget rental properties (even 1-beds) all you get is a 4 foot tall fridge with a freezer compartment the rough size of a shoebox. So, it all depends on you, do you think you would have a problem sleeping in your kitchen/living room?

You may have problems if you want to have friends stay over, but that really depends on how much comfort your friends need, or the layout of the apartment in question.

I'd probably hold out for something with a little space. I wish I was in a position to rent the one I linked to. I;d be in the phone straight away. Once I get my act together and make out a game plan I should be ready in a few months
    Another disadvantage to a bedsit is (usually) the open-plan kitchen. As already mentioned, the smells of your cooking linger for longer when you can't shut a door on them. Of course, this can mean lower heating bills, as the oven will heat your entire living space!

Low bills is something I'd love. That's definitly one of the main advantages. But the cooking smells might be a pain - looks like I'll need some Fabreeze.

Any advice for first time renting etc... I'm a noob! :eek:

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Any advice for first time renting etc...

If possible, have someone check over your lease. Just to make sure that it's fair and the landlord isn't trying to take advantage especially if s/he knows that you're new to the game.

If something breaks down tell your landlord as soon as possible. It is the landlords responsibility to keep things in good working order. Now, obviously, if you've thrown some kind of wild rave and broke it yourself then that's different... ;) But if something has broke down through normal wear and tear then you're entitled to have it fixed. If the landlord somehow finds out that an appliance was broken and you kept it to yourself they'll probably wonder why and maybe think you're hiding something when you were maybe just afraid that s/he would blame you.

I would STRONGLY recommend you take lots of pictures when you move in, to show the general state of the place when you rented it. Take pictures again when you move out to show the state you left it in. This way the landlord can't say that you damaged something when it was either already damaged when you moved in or wasn't damaged when you moved out.

You might already know this but your landlord is not allowed to enter your property without your permission, unless it's an emergency. A previous landlord of mine would let himself in at times, I later found out this was illegal. Worse than this he would let tradesmen in without my permission/knowledge. I found this out one day when I had 2 days off work. A couple of strange men bursting into my apartment isn't a great way to wake up!

I don't mean for this to scare you off your landlord. Some landlords are great, it's just that you don't have to worry about the great ones, just protect yourself in case you don't get a great one.

• Advertisement

Actually I got one more question, more of a concern, that just popped into my head.

I HAVE NO REFRENCES!!!:eek:

I've never been employed by someone b4 (just finished school last year and I'm registered as self employed. I'm a freelance writer. Bit of a unique situation for someone my age, I know.).

Any ideas on what to do about this?? Would friends do?

-- Dean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Actually I got one more question, more of a concern, that just popped into my head.

I HAVE NO REFRENCES!!!:eek:

I've never been employed by someone b4 (just finished school last year and I'm registered as self employed. I'm a freelance writer. Bit of a unique situation for someone my age, I know.).

Any ideas on what to do about this?? Would friends do?

I had a similar issue as I work as a freelance artist. Not so much an issue in Ireland as few places look for references but big deal in the UK. Depending on where your renting they might take a professional reference from a client or peer. I had another professional artist at my studio write a reference regarding my work and had copies of my self employed tax returns thingy from Mr. Tax man. Renting in the uk I was asked to pay a little more on the deposit but nothing major.

Would friends do?

Just ask a friend that can be contacted by phone during work hours. Don't give his work email. Half the time I've given references even for jobs, they haven't been checked.

Landlords should be glad of tenants at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try visiting it on a cold day. If it's warm in the studio, check the radiators. Some "studios" are converted garages, sheds, etc, and don't always have good heat retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I lived in a studio / bedsit for 9 years - only moved out last year - I loved mine, worked well for me. Location was great and it was just great to come back to my "place" and have no one else there!
    I got a good one at the time... but i've heard some horror stories about bedsits! Just make sure you do your research!

Also, sometimes more rooms = more cleaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What about a small house such as this. This, I think, would suit me down to the ground. >>> Link to property ad.

What do y'all think??

That house is for sale at the moment - http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/8-maxwell-street-dublin-8/143267

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

When i lived in a bedsit i didnt find the bills cheaper.
    They are cheaper in total alright, but you have to pay 100% of them.
    TV, Phone, ESB and nobody to split them with.

But the whole own place thing is definitely worth the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hey,
    Not sure if this would help the poster here - but I personally don't like the whole bedsit scene at all and all the studio's I have seen were less the desirable (or maybe I have a high expectation).

Anyway, I eventually got a 1 bed Apt in Rainsford Avenue, Dublin 8. Really nice, very quiet, no trouble.

Rent is 700 per month - that's the only down side. It have a fold out bed in the living room for friends etc and it is well big enough for 2 people.

The reason I paid so much (rather then sharing) is die to the fact I have previously had a violent issue whiele sharing - never again, not for nothing.

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

the_syco wrote: »
    Try visiting it on a cold day. If it's warm in the studio, check the radiators. Some "studios" are converted garages, sheds, etc, and don't always have good heat retention.

The same goes for some so called "annex" 1 or 2 bedroom places also.
    A lot of them tend to be the original rooms in period houses so very often they are less meddled with and messed up than plasterboard masterpieces turned into 1-2 bedrooms. Strictly a bedsit has a shared toilet and a studio is fully self contained. A lot of landlords however, rent out "1 bedrooms" where the "bedroom" is a partially enclosed area without a window - there are probably more studio (with additional unecessary walls) than real 1 beds.

On the whole I've found them generally very good as separate bathroom means less space of yours is taken up. I had no problems at all with those I shared facilities with. However the problem I did find with bedsits was you are far more vulnerable to antisocial neighbours as you cannot just move a room away from the noise/girlfriend-beating/fights/etc.

Apparently bedsits in converted properties are to become illegal which just means the LL will have to put a bathroom into them or combine them with neighbouring units somehow. Not sure how they will handle this as many are very old.

I paid almost nothing for electricity in the last Irish one I lived in but the last London one I was in was very claustrophobic - really ridiculously tiny and little storage space. Again this does depend on the building and relative greed of the landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement