Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop Not starting

Options
  • 18-02-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Have a dell inspiron laptop.not sure of the model but since yesterday antime it loads up first (Dell image and rolling bar on the bottom) then a blue screen appears that says kernel32dll not found and unable to start computer.does anyone know how to maybe solve the problem.

I could install it again but i dont know where the disk is for it.i dont want to lose documents on the hard drive either.anyone know of a solution to this without deleting all the hard drive contents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You could recover your stuff with a Linux LiveCD (I use Mint) and put them on a USB stick if you can get your hands on one, not sure about fixing or reinstalling Windows if you don't have a disc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭shockframe

Thanks for that info bop.

might make it easier to follw.the initial point was a bit vague.

Was looking at it again tonight.basically the problem now is the options after the boot up you have a choice of
    1.start windows normally
    2.launch startup repair

by selecting 1 it just loads up and then goes back to select the same options again.when i select2 it tells me verification of a known dll failed and system process terminated unexpectedly.

any idea what i should do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Try a Windows repair, boot from a Dell recovery disk (you'll need to get thihs from someone who has a dell with the same OS, shouldn't be too hard). Get to the recovery console and just type chkdsk. That sorted blue screens for me many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭shockframe

Found my vista operating system disc last night.if i reinstall that will the laptop work again.

i also put linux mint onto a cd and booted it up on my laptop but I couold not find any link to my windows files.does anyone know how to access these files or where they might possibly be.

Advertisement