Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who here has a car and a jeep?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

SO who here has a private car and a commercial jeep?

I drive a car to and from work for the economy but would love a commercial jeep for a bit of green laning, to bring hunting and general off road fun.

Thing is I am finding it hard to find an insurance company who allow you to use a No Claims Discount on anything but 1 vehicle, offer any sort of a second vehicle discount or do limited mileage policies.

I had a MK1 Disco for 12 months (which I bought with nearly a years tax) but it was a 7 seater so I was covered to drive it with my current policy as it was a private vehicle and not a commercial.

Would really like to hear from people who have both a private car insurance policy and own a commercial jeep and hear how you guys are managing the insurance.

Cheers
    Veg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I guess as its a comercial, it has to be insired as a comercial, even if it is used privatly.
    Its status is a goods vehicle.
    But shop around...a good broker might be able to find a package that suits.
    Or buy an Suzuki Jimny or something small (1.3) and they are still capable off road

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

No, unfortunatly that is the situation just as you described. In general you can only use a no claims discount on one policy. Also a commercial no claims discount is considered different than a private one, so say if was to get rid of my commercial jeep and get a car instead, I wouldn't have a no claims discount. Quinn direct will give a discount if you have more than one policy as far as I know.

Now I do know a guy who has a commercial landcrusier insured priviatly and is covered to drive anyone elses private vehicle under that policy, although obtaining such insurance on a commercial is nearly impossible unless you have someone on the inside. And sides, he isn't covered to drive another vehicle that is registered in his name, or that is not insured by another person.

Another option is getting trade insurance, it can be done, but again it's hard to get it, especially if you aren't technically in the motor trade and then there is the whole issue of your actual occupation if there was a claim made.

I find it so frustrating and anoying in general, motor insurance seems to bit a bit of a joke to me, especially in Ireland :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have a private motor car and a van insured.

They allowed my no claims to count on the van as I am the sole insured party on both vehicles so can only drive one at a time.

With Allianz. Was gonna switch to hibernian but they were twice the price for the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks folks

Must give Allianz a look because that is exactly what I am after

Mr. Boots a Jimny is high in my list due to its low running costs it's just when I see Nissan Patrol's on donedeal.ie for like 3800 euro it is very tempting as long as I could insure it of course.

Appreciate the input guys

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks,

SO who here has a private car and a commercial jeep?

I drive a car to and from work for the economy but would love a commercial jeep for a bit of green laning, to bring hunting and general off road fun.

Thing is I am finding it hard to find an insurance company who allow you to use a No Claims Discount on anything but 1 vehicle, offer any sort of a second vehicle discount or do limited mileage policies.

I had a MK1 Disco for 12 months (which I bought with nearly a years tax) but it was a 7 seater so I was covered to drive it with my current policy as it was a private vehicle and not a commercial.

Would really like to hear from people who have both a private car insurance policy and own a commercial jeep and hear how you guys are managing the insurance.

Cheers
    Veg

Munster Group are good for commercial insurane. When i firsta started my Comm policy 2 years ago they mirrored my no claims bonus onto m,y commercial policy which only costed my 350 a year on a trooper....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Have a car and passenger Disco, great to have best of both worlds. Might be an option to look for another Disco or Rangie on a classic chassis, ie classic tax and insurance, very cheap and you could keep with a passenger. They are around if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Munster Group are good for commercial insurane. When i firsta started my Comm policy 2 years ago they mirrored my no claims bonus onto m,y commercial policy which only costed my 350 a year on a trooper....
    This is true I'm 4 years with them and they mirrored my NCB from my car to my commercial landrover defender. I think it cost 400 euro the first year for the landrover. I have both insured this year for 700 euro or so. Munster group are the broker, A.I.G are the insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I've a trade policy, covers me for everything on my license - all but a motorbike.

Fuel consumption is not a major issue given I do 10k a year. I chose a comfy type petrol saloon over a jeep primarily down to fuel costs (I know, it sounds like a contradiction, but the jeep even being diesel cost more to run...

Insurance costs 1.5k a year, shared between three of us, drive anything we're licensed for etc full comp.

Only downside is no windscreen cover, given my habit of spending sod all on my cars, they usually come with a scared windscreen needing replacement.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mitsi L200 crew cab commercial,Seat Leon TDI,Alfa 147 and a Ducati 996 all on my trade car policy.SWEET.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Might be an option to look for another Disco or Rangie on a classic chassis, ie classic tax and insurance, very cheap and you could keep with a passenger.

On the vintage insurance policy for my old yoke, it definitely states that any modifications to the vehicle render the policy invalid. I'd suspect a modern body on an old chassis would be within the scope of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement