Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to get reliable information on car stereos

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm looking to change my car stereo and am looking for somewhere that provides reliable information about them.
    With most consumer goods there is a website or a magazine dedicated to reviewing the different kinds available, giving you a good idea of the price and giving you an idea of how far up the scale the product sits.
    However I can't find this information on car stereos. I can find manufacturer sites by the dozen and plenty of places that want to sell me one, but I can't find anywhere to tell me what the product is like to use or where it is in the scale.
    Can anyone help me or is this information simply not online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kebrosnan

There definitely is no bible out there for this sort of info. If you know the model you are looking at, you may find user reviews on some websites that sell these, price comparison websites etc but obviously be wary. Also for some of the high end stuff, you can find review on youtube etc.

I have always changed the head unit in any car I've had which can be a downfall because you can end up replacing everything and adding extras to get the sound right. My recommendation is to stick will a repatable make (Sony, Panasonic, Clarion etc) and compare the technical specs of the units your looking at. Also shop around as prices can vary dramatically, ebay can be a good source but you still need to fit it which is not always straigh forward even if you have the right ISO cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Thanks kebrosnan.
    I was thinking of getting a Pioneer model but others have suggested Sony or Alpine models too.
    If I was buying anything else I'd go get a review mag and see if there is anything to look out for when choosing between them.
    Does one have a flimsy front panel, or need extra cabling to install or need to be connected to an amp, etc.
    There doesn't seem to be that kind of information out there on head units.
    I suppose all I can do is get a brochure for each brand and pick through them one by one before checking a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You could also try putting the make & model in inverted commas into google, followed by the word 'review'.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

With almost research I've found two pioneers that sound very similar.
    The DEH-P5100UB and DEH-P7100BT.
    Anyone have either of these?
    Will go check some other brands for some more ideas.

Advertisement