Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving licence classes

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I couldn't find the answer to this question on any other thread so thought I'd throw it out there. My full (B) driving licence expires next month and I am about to fill in the form to get it renewed. As it stands, I only have category B endorsed on my licence. Are there other categories I can get endorsed on my licence without being tested? What I mean is, if I want to pull a trailer or caravan behind my car, this is category E+, can I just tick this box on the application form? What about motorbikes under 125cc? Is there a test needed for this? Driving tractors? Does anyone out there have (or know where) to get this information. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is a test required for all the above, so it's not as simple as ticking the boxes. Provided you passed your test in the last 3 years or so you should have an M category and W as standard when you passed your B test.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I passed my test just over a year ago and got B and W, not M. Should I have got M too?

OP, you can tow a trailer (including a caravan or boat-trailer) with your Class B licence provided:

The trailer is less than 750kg Gross Vehicle Weight,
    OR
    The trailer's GVW is less than the unladen weight of the car and the Gross Weight of the combination is less than 3500kg.

Open to corrections, though...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No the M category is no longer included with the B test, this changed in 2007 i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Ahh yeh, I thought so. I get away with the theory test, because when I did that it was the ABMW one, and I ticked A1 and M on the Provisional Licence application form, as it was then known. I'm surprised they let me have A though, I'm pretty sure the theory had split before I turned 18. Must've assumed I had it, since I already had A1 and M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

This should clear up what you are/aren't allowed to drive.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055835338

Advertisement