Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is "reasonable" notice for facilitating viewing of a rental property?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

We're in last month of our lease and not renewing it, and naturally there are going to be viewings from prospective tenants. We are friendly with the landlord and want to support her but at the same time we don't want to have to much stress and be taken advantage of by her agent. They gave us 19 hours notice for the first interview which we took but I told them we prefer a 48 hour notice in order to have the house ready for viewings.

I was just wondering As per our lease and residential tenancies act 2004 we are obliged to make the house available to them for the purpose of inspection (and I presume showing it to others) with "reasonable" notice. What defines reasonable here, technically? Is there a firm definition of it somewhere?

Cheers
    MuffinsDa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I remember when our landlord was trying to sell his apartment that we asked for 48hrs notice for a viewing and were told by letting agent that we were looking for too much and 24hrs should be enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

24 hours should definitely be enough. The place doesn't have to look like a showhouse, they're not expecting you to have it ready in the condition you will be leaving it in. Moving house is a messy job, you'll probably have boxes out and be clearing out things.

It'll be no problem, have the place reasonably tidy and that's all they can expect.

If they have a problem with it then they're being unreasonable and then ask for longer notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

24 hrs is the minimum notice period - ask for 48 hours though and see what the response is

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask them to specify certain approximate times for viewing, e.g. Monday-Wednesday 6-9pm and then to confirm 24 hours in advance. If you aren't available, they aren't allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

As the leaving tenant, is it advisable to be there when viewings take place or are you expected to make yourself scarce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your house, your rules. If the landlord tries anything in front of the prospective tenant, just make sure the prospective tenant sees what they are like as a landlord.

Advertisement