Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Eircom WEP key was cracked

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I have eircom 3mb, quite recently i got hacked by an unknown person so i tried
    to find out how he/she hacks my wep key and i was astonished to find a website
    in which u type in the "ssid" and u recieve the key http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

This Is A warning to all eircom users that u could be hacked sp easy so i hope u change ur key NOW!!!!! I think this topic was brought up before but just to point out the importance!!!! A hacked network will slow down and possible get
    alot of spam sent to them. Final UR EMAIL which mine was hacked so beware :mad::mad:

TY,THEMAVSLIFE

Please don't use that website to hack no other then urself

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You have a old eircom ADSL router which a known security issue, as an Eircom customer you were previously sent a letter by eircom to change your router wireless settings so that you would not have this problem. (as eircom became aware of this issue years back)

To quote the readme attached
    Simple code that generates WEP keys and factory password when supplied netopia MAC or SSID WEP algorithm was discovered around 2006 and published around 2007
    so yes, it's old news.

It seems however you did not do this so somebody accessed your wifi with very little work...
    Eircom sent this letter out to customers back in 2007 - http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/eircom-bs.jpg and this was on their website too http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/eircom-bs2.jpg

What else can they do? :)

You weren't hacked, accessing one of the old eircom routers is extremely easy...plenty of websites and programs that will allow you do this this.

Since this is very old news I've edited ther thread title to make things clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nobody in 2010 should be using WEP to secure their router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Exactly. The default WEP key supplied by those old eircom routers isn't your biggest worry OP. ANY WEP key is simple to crack and takes minutes only. Use WPA2 if can and if your
    current router doesn't support it, get a new router!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Look at it from the positive side! Eircom has created the biggest public wifi network in the world!!

Progression by going backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

FYP
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Nobody in 2010 except people with a Nintendo Wii or DS should be using WEP to secure their router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The Wii and newer versions of the DS both support WPA2 - I think the original DS may only do wep, but that's just a reason not to use one :)

Its partiality your own fault if you didn't change your WEP key to a more secure system like WPA2.

Eircom made BIG news about it a while ago.

There is even a iPhone app which exploits this algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sitting in my bedroom right now I'm getting 12 wireless networks of which 7 are WEP and out of those 7 there is 4 which are susceptible to the Eircom flaw. Amazes me how many people just ignored that letter back then.
    Its partiality your own fault if you didn't change your WEP key to a more secure system like WPA2.

Eircom made BIG news about it a while ago.

There is even a iPhone app which exploits this algorithm.
    To be fair they didn't really, it took a serious effort by people on this board and certain blogs for Eircom to even acknowledge it. And even when they did finally send a letter out they didn't go far enough.

Fair enough, but I remember seeing it on a lot of news shows and in most newspapers.

If you didn't have any idea on how to change your security you could just go onto Eircom site and look at very clear tutorials.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=64&E=0000000000219170748&K=9286&SXI=14&case=9048&branch=4

But that tutorial is still bad as it only shows how to change a WEP key and not use other security.

If you couldn't be bothered to change the key, then as I said it's partiality your own fault.

90% of people don't know that though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

90% of people don't know that though...

Anyone who missed the RTE news report, the CNN report, the BBC report, the various news paper articles, the pamphlet included with their bill etc, and still uses WEP doesn't deserve any sympathy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Spear wrote: »
    Anyone who missed the RTE news report, the CNN report, the BBC report, the various news paper articles, the pamphlet included with their bill etc, and still uses WEP doesn't deserve any sympathy.

Not to mention someone who actually knows that the broadband forum of boards.ie exists!:rolleyes: Just an excuse to publish that site I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wcool wrote: »
    Look at it from the positive side! Eircom has created the biggest public wifi network in the world!!

Progression by going backwards!

And really useful too at times....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

And really useful too at times....

Yes indeed.

I use the Apple app, great for a quick email in the city on my ipod touch. I don't feel too guilty as I run a public proxy on my LAN for other people as well.
    Sharing is caring...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This Is A warning to all eircom users that u could be hacked sp easy so i hope u change ur key NOW!!!!!
    Brian?

cgon595l.jpg

in other news, did anyone else hear that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad?

I'm actually finding it pretty hard to bel;ieve that you're genuine.

the only posts you have on the whole of boards.ie (all 9 of them since the 7th of January) are all in this thread and there's no sign of your username being used anywhere else, which makes me think you made it up specifically to promote the site in your first post, althouh this is such old news that I wonder why you'd bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 THEMAVS4LIFE

can i just say u are a *** if there was ever any1. Im looking for help for me and others that some foolish jokes that u will laugh about until ur 90 sure must be the highlight of ur life.

thanks for all telling me to change my wep key and i will so ty to all mods and USEFUL users

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

It's also very useful to post the actual link where you can get the WEP key so if there's anyone who hasn't seen it (about 1% of Ireland) they are now well aware how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭The Oggmonster

I have an old Eircom router and it uses WEP. Could I just buy this and replace it myself?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=503688&view=detailed#ProductTabs

Would my PS3 and my phone still be able to connect to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

I have an old Eircom router and it uses WEP. Could I just buy this and replace it myself?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=503688&view=detailed#ProductTabs

Would my PS3 and my phone still be able to connect to it?

If you browse to your router you should be able to change it to WPA - Psk in the Wireless section which just uses a shared key of your choice.

Could be http://192.168.0.254 or http://192.168.1.254 (sorry might be obvious but don't know your knowledge!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Shamo wrote: »
    If you browse to your router you should be able to change it to WPA - Psk in the Wireless section which just uses a shared key of your choice.

Could be http://192.168.0.254 or http://192.168.1.254 (sorry might be obvious but don't know your knowledge!)

You can check it with ipconfig on Windows (the router's address will be listed as default gateway), or for linux - check your arp table or use netstat -nr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

can i just say u are a *** if there was ever any1. Im looking for help for me and others that some foolish jokes that u will laugh about until ur 90 sure must be the highlight of ur life.

thanks for all telling me to change my wep key and i will so ty to all mods and USEFUL users

WEP is insecure no matter what key you use and can be cracked in minutes.
    Eircom just made it much more convenient for people to illegally access some wireless networks. The good news is that your router more than likely
    supports WPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As above. This is really old news. I have my own 7meg connection, but if it ever went down, there are three different eircom connections in range that I could use ;) - If I wanted to. The original eircom settings have more holes than a tea bag but it was well publicised that everyone should change there setting.

Wasnt the original encryption key based on a line from Voodoo Chilli?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wasnt the original encryption key based on a line from Voodoo Chilli?

The keys were based around this
    const char *lyrics[8] = {
    "Although your world wonders me, ",
    "with your superior cackling hen,",
    "Your people I do not understand,",
    "So to you I shall put an end and",
    "You'll never hear surf music aga",
    "Strange beautiful grassy green, ",
    "With your majestic silver seas, ",
    "Your mysterious mountains I wish" };

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

well this is old news really i knew about this the past few years and have used the aboved method dont worry to much most people who know about this have no intenetion on stealing any information from you hell its ireland your talking about half the people tink if that computers are this impossible thing to use if anyone is gona hack you it will be for internet access only stop being paranoid people where is the sharing side of people left i left my wireless router open for anyone to use but never noticed any activity on the wireless network also if u wanna find out the name of the pc (might give away the name of a person close to your house you may know ) http://192.168.1.254 enter into expert mode >statistics>WAN then a list of devices plus names on the wireless network will show change to WPA even tough this can be hacked to but requires a hell lot of work and most people wont bother other than that if you stay with WEP your screwed if you really care bout people using your connection !!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

also if your router does not support wpa get onto eircom and tell them you want a new one all new routers come WPA as default so anyone who has got eircom in the past year or so dont worry your protected !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^Why waste your time typing that, when no-one's going to bother reading it because you don't use any punctuation? :(

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

esel wrote: »
    ^Why waste your time typing that, when no-one's going to bother reading it because you don't use any punctuation? :(
    not true, there's a double explamation mark at the end of each paragraph. :p

...and I think this thread has come to the end of its life

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement