Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox gone?

Options
  • 18-02-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    i have my03 Renault Clio in the garage at the minute. Its not driving properly the past few days,feels like the two front wheels are trying to go in opposite directions and when i go around a corner it wobbles and goes every way bar where im trying to go.
    I thought maybe a bearing or joint was gone at one of the wheels.( I know nothing about cars but my car has had problems with the wheel bearings so presumed one had gone again). mechanic had a quick look on the lift at it and bearings are ok. He thinks maybe it's the gear box.
    Would the steering be affected by the gear box?
    If i do need a new gear box any idea how much it's going to set me back-its a manual 1.2 litre.

Mechanic has to take it on test drive but he's gone to lunch for an hour so will be a while before i hear anything back.

Also heard before that i'm probably better off getting new clutch at same time as new gearbox-would this be right?

As i said i'm clueless bout the mechanics of cars so any help is welcome!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Hi,
    i have my03 Renault Clio in the garage at the minute. Its not driving properly the past few days,feels like the two front wheels are trying to go in opposite directions and when i go around a corner it wobbles and goes every way bar where im trying to go.
    I thought maybe a bearing or joint was gone at one of the wheels.( I know nothing about cars but my car has had problems with the wheel bearings so presumed one had gone again). mechanic had a quick look on the lift at it and bearings are ok. He thinks maybe it's the gear box.
    Would the steering be affected by the gear box?
    If i do need a new gear box any idea how much it's going to set me back-its a manual 1.2 litre.

Mechanic has to take it on test drive but he's gone to lunch for an hour so will be a while before i hear anything back.

Also heard before that i'm probably better off getting new clutch at same time as new gearbox-would this be right?

As i said i'm clueless bout the mechanics of cars so any help is welcome!
    Thanks.

Sounds odd. Tell him not to start any work until you've made a decision. Sounds like a dodgy diagnosis tbh. The problem you describe is usually caused by worn suspension bushes or other suspension issues, not the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Those symptoms can be caused by Differential problems which is encased in the gearbox in the Clios. If there is a bearing seized/collapsed in the Diff it could be causing the Diff to partially lock going around corners causing the steering to pull or wheels to drag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Those symptoms can be caused by Differential problems which is encased in the gearbox in the Clios. If there is a bearing seized/collapsed in the Diff it could be causing the Diff to partially lock going around corners causing the steering to pull or wheels to drag.

Didn't know that. An interesting and dangerous problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Confab wrote: »
    Didn't know that. An interesting and dangerous problem!

Thats Renault for ya:D

////runs....................quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Thanks for the answers guys. Mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it after all that :rolleyes:

@gofaster-didn't know that but its interesting to know!
    Think its time to get rid of it now anyway..

• Advertisement
Advertisement