Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Physics Question

Options
  • 18-02-2010 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I know you have been inundated with homework questions recently but I have been absolutly stumped by this and I cant get the answer no matter what method I use.

An interstellar cloud, made up of an
    ideal gas, collapses with its radius
    decreasing as

R
    = 1013(-t/216)^2/3

with t measured in years. The time t

is taken to be zero at zero radius so
    that t is always negative. The cloud
    collapses isothermally at 10 K until its
    radius reaches 1013 m. It then becomes
    opaque so that, from then on, the
    collapse takes place adiabatically (gammma=5/3) and reversibly. How many years does
    it take for the temperature to rise by
    800 K measured from the time the cloud
    reaches a radius of 1013 m.

I have tried mainly the adiabtic relationship for temperature T(V^GAMMA-1)= Constant to imply that T1(V1^y-1)=T2(V2^y-1) taking the time at T1V1 to be 216 years and assuming the could is a sphere.
    I have also tried integrating the formula for R as I thought it may need to be if its the rate of change of the radius.
    I know the answer is 208 Years (Back of the book answer) but so far I have not been able to get that. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 10DKing

Hi what is the name of the book you got this problem from??

Advertisement