Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another management co question

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Well we own our apt,

Have been living here for 5 years, paid all management fee's up to date until last year, we paid our fee's but not the levy on the the fee's for new doors, letterbox's etc....

Last year, we paid €1200 (total €1550) the levy was €350, our fee's were €1200, we just couldn't seem to scrape together the money to cover it... have barely enough to live on.

In our 2nd year of occupancy we paid €600 for this exact same levy, where nothing was done and not all the €600 was collected from owners.

We have a very good mgt agent who are in all honesty doing all they can to make the block as good as they can.... but we honestly cannot afford to pay this levy, we are behind in our mortgage and our ESB, but are both struggling to make it meet, when we took the mortgage on we had no kids, we now have one, I was in a much better paid job... I'm on 70c more than minimum wage now.... the income levy ate up ALL of our excess money,

I feel very aggrieved that we are being chased for this money as we already paid it in 2005, also what happened to the peeps who didn't pay it when we had a crappy mgt agent... they were let go as far as I can see and never paid anything!?!?!

They say I am not allowed to vote on issue's or go onto the board this year as we are indebt to the management co..... I really wanted to go onto the board this year as I had plan's to try to create a community by creating a resident's comittee... i feel this is the only way ahead to make people take a bit of pride about where they live and really want to make a difference....

Any advice??? Can they stop me from joining the board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You well need to check the Articles of Association etc, of the company. I find it odd that you wouldn't be allowed vote.

You don't need to be a director to form a residents' association - anyone can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, you are doing the best you can by the sounds of it. A clause like that about voting is common enough in my experience. You could still be a director without having a vote, though it would be unusual. I wouldn't give up on the resident's association idea, even if you don't get to be a director.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

bernyh wrote: »

They say I am not allowed to vote on issue's or go onto the board this year as we are indebt to the management co.

Any advice??? Can they stop me from joining the board?

Yes, most likely the can do this. We enforce this too (those with outstanding debt/payment plans are not permitted to vote). It is normally in the articles of association of the management company.

While you may not be able to pay directly, if you setup a payment plan (even just €1 per week) then you should be given your vote back (but that is up to the board of directors).

I understand your frustration. You should ask for a full set of accounts, to see who has and who hasn't paid their fees. The more who pay, the less hassle overall you should have in the development.

Best of luck with it all.

Advertisement