Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Downgrading

Options
  • 18-02-2010 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Long story short. I've an expensive (to run) car and I want to downgrade it as I plan to move away in the next year.

I owe 9k on the repayments. It's a '04 Accord 2L VTEC. I'd be looking to get about 12k for it? I had a look at some websites and they seem to be going for that. It's in great condition by the way.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about this? Trade it in and get a cheap car from a dealer. Try and sell it privately?

The problem with option 2 is I know absolutely NOTHING about cars aside from knowing how to drive one! So somebody coming along to look at it asking me questions which I'd know nothing about is a tad daunting to me!

Any help/opinions appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Hi All,

Long story short. I've an expensive (to run) car and I want to downgrade it as I plan to move away in the next year.

I owe 9k on the repayments. It's a '04 Accord 2L VTEC. I'd be looking to get about 12k for it? I had a look at some websites and they seem to be going for that. It's in great condition by the way.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about this? Trade it in and get a cheap car from a dealer. Try and sell it privately?

The problem with option 2 is I know absolutely NOTHING about cars aside from knowing how to drive one! So somebody coming along to look at it asking me questions which I'd know nothing about is a tad daunting to me!

Thanks.

should sell privatly for more than a dealer offers ya

but i'd look to swap so decide what you want and advertise that you want to swap (cash yer way)

if i was looking for a nicer car then i'd like to swap up

done deal adverts.ie and carzone for coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Hi All,

Thanks.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you wont get 12k for it i dont think.. there was a refresh in 06/07 on the accord, new dash cluster, some other tweaks.

at the current climate you would prob get an 06/07 for that money cash sale. its a petrol with high enough road tax €614 , it will sell if its cheap. but not at 12k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Tigger wrote: »
    should sell privatly for more than a dealer offers ya

but i'd look to swap so decide what you want and advertise that you want to swap (cash yer way)

if i was looking for a nicer car then i'd like to swap up

done deal adverts.ie and carzone for coverage

Cheers I'll look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Honda08 wrote: »
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you wont get 12k for it i dont think.. there was a refresh in 06/07 on the accord, new dash cluster, some other tweaks.

at the current climate you would prob get an 06/07 for that money cash sale. its a petrol with high enough road tax €614 , it will sell if its cheap. but not at 12k.

OK thanks. It's just I saw a few 04's on carzone or cbg. If it's not worth that it's not worth it I just want the best possible deal naturally. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Cheers I'll look into that.

look here, they go as low as €8500

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/2004?searchsource=browse&cacheBuster=1266451371129640

id say you would be lucky to get that (8500) in the current climate.. what mileage does it have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I got an offer for a petrol auto 05 Accord last year for 8500 - didn't buy it.

Also someone I know sold an 04 Accord last year for 10k cash - so 12k would be optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I was gonna say 12k is very optimistic alright.

04 diesels can be got for a good bit less than 9k, and they'd be more popular than your petrol op.

As above, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'd be amazed if you got more than 9k for your one, and that's if it's mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

You'd be doing well to get 7k for it for a 2004 one. A 2004 diesel would probably sell for 9k. The petrol Accord is fairly unwanted. Decent car though, just drive it on until you owe less on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think you'll lose more in the change than you'll save on running costs over 1 year. Plus you'll be driving some nastier car for a year.

Just drive it for the year and then sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Hi All,

Thanks.
    12K LOL. The only way you can sell a car at the moment is if you price it in uk add vrt and also what it would cost to travel there, pick it up and bring it back + 3 months tax + price of nct + cost of new number plates. This would equal about 8 - 8.5K tops

• Advertisement
Advertisement