Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to adjust your mirrors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If I dont have the side of my car visible in the mirror, Im not driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror.

I've been doing that for years - it gives you much more visibility. I've no idea why people think they need to see the side of their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

don't like it, but I'll try it ! does the colour of the cars matter ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

eoin wrote: »
    I've been doing that for years - it gives you much more visibility. I've no idea why people think they need to see the side of their car.
    I have them as far out as possible too, to the point where the side of the car is just out of view. Makes sense. I don't want to push them any further out incase I miss cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

yea cyclist was my first thought.

• Advertisement

You will still see cyclists; you just won't see the side of the car without turning your head slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

For most people in cars it's a point of reference and gives a better idea of distance. Just what people are used to really.
    In a Van/Truck or any other vehicle without a central rear view mirror it's a non-starter anyway as you would have to have the rear corners of your vehicle visible for reversing etc.

Vans and trucks probably have a wider viewing angle on the mirrors - and you just need to be able to turn your head slightly to see the side of the car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

“Have fun filling out those accident reports.”

This bit puts me off doing it, their assumption that if you don't follow their theory then you'll have an accident. It also forgets that some places require you to check over your shoulder before changing lanes.

If you are driving correctly you should be using your mirrors all the time so you should never get a vehicle appearing in your blind spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

From the link:
    when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder

Whatever about setting your mirrors differently ...for the sentence in bold, that website should be taken down.

Whichever way you have your mirrors set, you ALWAYS look over your shoulder before maneuvering (Bikers, cyclists, pedestrians do not always appear in your mirror)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How you set your mirrors also depends on where you do most of your driving.

The setting in the link is fine for motorway (or American Freeway) driving, where all traffic moves in the same direction and lanes are a good bit apart.
    (whenever I do a long motorway trip, I adjust my mirrors that way)

On an Irish country road, things are different. It is of absolutely no help to you if all that your passenger mirror shows is hedgerow upon hedgerow. On the other hand, if it shows the back edge of your vehicle and the edge of the road, it helps you to position your car correctly and assists in driving as far to the left as possible when things get tight.

The same applies if you do a lot of town driving and maneuvering / parking in tight spots. An image in your mirror that offers no relation to the edges of your car is of very little help when reversing into a tight spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I always always look over my shoulder, I don't trust mirrors (not just because I'm ugly).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The only way to check your blind spots is to look over your shoulder(s).

Bikers don't call them lifesavers for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It can be tricky to merge left in the van, cars to the left-and behind, disappear if I move the mirror too far wide, and shorter cars that move alongside me can be hidden if I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

That article is good rule of thumb advice, however some cars have massive blind spots, my flatmate has a VX2200 turbo and everytime he wants to change lane he has to lean right forward in his seat till his head is near the wheel and look back to check his blind spot, as the side mirrors are so small and the rear window os like loking through a keyhole!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Me too, it takes a little getting used to but once you've adapted to it, you will never go back. The sides of your car are still there, they're just marginally out of your field of view.
    People should try it when stationary and get somebody to walk around from the back of their car along the side as close as they can to the side of the car, while they observe them in the mirror and they'll have their mind put at ease regarding cyclists / motor cyclists.

Advertisement