Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

taxing without NCT

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Was going to tax my van because I need it on the road for a few days, I read on a thread here somewhere that you didnt need to have your vehicle tested to tax it but when I looked at the form online it said this:

C3 Section 3 - A Certificate of roadworthiness (CRW) is required as follows:
    · Goods Vehicles, Trailers, Buses and Ambulances over 1 year old must be tested every year
    · Design Gross Vehicle Weight (DGVW) is the basis for determining vehicle classification for vehicle testing purposes
    · Goods vehicle having a DGVW of 3500 kg kilograms or lower to be tested as a Light Goods Vehicle (L G V) – C R W fee €6
    · Goods vehicle having DGVW exceeding 3500 kilograms to be tested as a Heavy Goods Vehicle (H G V) – C R W fee €13
    If you do not have a current CRW, you must include a Pass Statement issued by an Authorised Tester, together with the appropriate fee with this
    application and a CRW will be issued to you

Can anyone clarify this, it seems pretty straight forward that I do need a certificate of roadworhtiness but I'm hoping someone will have away around it???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

daithi09 wrote: »
    Was going to tax my van because I need it on the road for a few days, I read on a thread here somewhere that you didnt need to have your vehicle tested to tax it but when I looked at the form online it said this:

C3 Section 3 - A Certificate of roadworthiness (CRW) is required as follows:
    · Goods Vehicles, Trailers, Buses and Ambulances over 1 year old must be tested every year
    · Design Gross Vehicle Weight (DGVW) is the basis for determining vehicle classification for vehicle testing purposes
    · Goods vehicle having a DGVW of 3500 kg kilograms or lower to be tested as a Light Goods Vehicle (L G V) – C R W fee €6
    · Goods vehicle having DGVW exceeding 3500 kilograms to be tested as a Heavy Goods Vehicle (H G V) – C R W fee €13
    If you do not have a current CRW, you must include a Pass Statement issued by an Authorised Tester, together with the appropriate fee with this
    application and a CRW will be issued to you

Can anyone clarify this, it seems pretty straight forward that I do need a certificate of roadworhtiness but I'm hoping someone will have away around it???

Thanks in advance

You DO need to have a valid NCT to tax a vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

scudzilla wrote: »
    You DO need to have a valid NCT to tax a vehicle

Wrong.

You don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

ok, none the wiser atm......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

You dont need a valid NCT to tax a vehicle. Just supply the last code on your expired disk. When you hand the form in behind the counter all they acutally check on the form is your name and address are correct, they type NOTHING else into the computer.

Ive done this loads of times absolutely no bother.

Yes techniclly you should need a valid NCT, but thats a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Was going to tax my van because I need it on the road for a few days
    [/FONT]

Van = DOE = €86

CRW = €6

You need a DOE, you send the pass cert into the tax office with €6 for a CRW and the amount for tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jhegarty wrote: »
    Wrong.

You don't.

Ya learn something new every day, when i went to get my tax, i had to fill out the back of the form, with my NCT details and insurance, i presumed that the NCT details would have to be up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

A Certificate of Roadworthiness is not an NCT.

Ya learn something new every day, when i went to get my tax, i had to fill out the back of the form, with my NCT details and insurance, i presumed that the NCT details would have to be up to date

Here's the form you filled out. Note the lack of mention of an NCT.
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

However, the OP has a Van which does need a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It used to be , but they removed the requirement years ago. They found out they lost money when the nct went on strike.

Never updated for forms , but you can just leave it blank.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Never updated for forms

Sure they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I taxed my car for almost 3 years without an NCT.

No questions asked and no problems, just leave the NCT section blank

thanks everybody, previous number it is only going to use the van twice, no sign of work like.......cwr is what the tax office give when you back when you hand in the doe then?

actually did i read that wrong? i still have no way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

thanks everybody, previous number it is only going to use the van twice, no sign of work like.......cwr is what the tax office give when you back when you hand in the doe then?

I'm afriad there is no way around it

unless you change its use to private and tax it private but if the engine is big... €€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

There is no NCT for a commercial vehicle. It is a Certificate of Road Worthyness (CRW). While you dont need your NCT to tax a passenger vehicle you do need the CRW for a commercial

balls, the chances of getting my van tested in the morning are pretty slim I'd imagine.. Anybody want a 05 transit with no CRW.. thanks for the help anyway, saves me looking like an eejit tomorrow arguing that I don't need a CRW...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

There is no NCT for a commercial vehicle. It is a Certificate of Road Worthyness (CRW). No you dont need either to tax a car. You only need insurance details.

If he is taxing the van as a commercial vehicle/own goods he certainly does need an indate CRW. He won't be allowed to tax his van without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

slightly different (sorry for derailing) but can you tax a car without having the log book?

Just bought a car and the tax is up but I haven't got the log book back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Mad_Max wrote: »
    slightly different (sorry for derailing) but can you tax a car without having the log book?

Just bought a car and the tax is up but I haven't got the log book back.

Only if the change of ownership has been done and the vehicle has been registered in your name. I believe it's currently taking about 2 weeks for c/ownership to go through. If you had taken the log book to your local tax office they would have transfererd ownership and taxed it for you at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

btard wrote: »
    Only if the change of ownership has been done and the vehicle has been registered in your name. I believe it's currently taking about 2 weeks for c/ownership to go through. If you had taken the log book to your local tax office they would have transfererd ownership and taxed it for you at same time.

Cheers for that. The change has gone through as far as I know, checked it on the motortax.ie site. Once I don't need the actual paper.

Advertisement