Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I harm my friends mortgage relief supplement if i claim rent allowance?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

does anyone know if a mate who I live with claims mortgage interest supplement which is about 300 per month and I rent a box room and pay 50 quid a week.
    If I claim rent allowance will i efffect his supplement payement
    He is unemployed and we have another friend living with us who earns 25k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Under the Rent-a-Room Scheme, he can receive rent (including all other payments) of up to €10,000 and not pay tax. As he is unemployed, he is unlikely to owe tax anyway.

However, for welfare purposes, I imagine it is income. In fairness, why should anyone receive income and mortgage interest supplement? I understand mortgage interest supplement runs out after a year.

However, he would be well advised to look into it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP to get mortgage reflief supplement you have to be means tested by your CWO. If the friends circumstances have changed i.e hes getting rent under rent a room he woud be obliged to inform the CWO of this.

If your paying 50 a week and your other friend is paying 50 a week that would be more income than the interest payment hes getting. Assuming both new income streams arrived after means testing then theres a high chance the CWO would remove the supplement from your friend.

Advertisement