Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Staff

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Does anybody know of places taking on staff lately?

I'm looking for part-time work and a number of friends have gotten jobs lately except me. Probably because I never applied anywhere yet.

But anyways the strange thing is not many shops are actually advertising if they are looking for staff, just an a4 sheet usually stuck on the front doors describing the positions available.

I am prepared to do anything - even work in McDonalds. (I'm desperate).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You could do far worse than work in McDonalds, least you know its not going to go out of business any time soon, getting out there and asking is probably the best way to find out, i know a few places havent advertised any jobs as they dont want to be innundated with cvs and applications

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Saw a staff wanted sign in B&Q yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

All of my friends keep saying to apply to Dunnes as the staff turnover is usually quite high so positions prop up from time to time.

I am going to hand a CV into Harveys Quay and Childers Road, maybe the Jetland but in the last few weeks I inquired in Parkway but they said they were not taking on staff at the moment.

Which is odd as it is Dunnes after all.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 starmannow

Penneys will most likely be taking on staff.

I know a few people who say turnover is high in there too.

Try the clothes part of Dunnes as well. But I don't know whether the grocery and clothes parts are separate as in handling CV's.

Does the clothes section in most Dunnes have their own customer service desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

starmannow wrote: »
    Does the clothes section in most Dunnes have their own customer service desk?

Yes in most.

Dunnes Grocery has a higher turnover because it's a harder job and more demanding. There are constantly stock to be replenished, more so than drapery. There are many special offers coming into the store every day which must be maintained. Also the grocery manager is normally a pr*ck and that make's his assistant manager a pr*ck down through other managers and so on.

Drapery is easier from what I can tell from the outside looking in. However you have to put up with women who pick up nicely folded clothes, open them out, hold them up above their heads and then fling them back.

The day would fly by. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

lol Thanks Berty,

I agree with you in thinking the drapery side of Dunnes wouldn't actually be that hard. The worst part of the job is dealing with clothes that have been torn around the place but other than that it seems ok.

Did anyone see that Oaklands Home Center is opening across from Aldi in Castletroy. The store looks quite big so I'm hopeful theres a few job openings.
    An ad on the window says its opening early march.:)

Also onlinemonkey, is it the B&Q across from Jetland your talking about??

Advertisement