Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to move a car from a to b but no tax/nct/insurance?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hiya just looking from a legal point of view, i have been given a car that hasn't been used in about 3 years but still ticks over now. its not taxed or insured or nct'd but i want to move it til i get it sorted. i'd risk driving it, its only bout 15 miles but if i did get stopped i'd be screwed. it's not in my name yet so will my insurance cover it? i know if its in my name i need a second policy:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Tow truck - should only be 60/70eur if only 15miles.

Whatever about transfering the insurance, you can't drive it with no NCT/Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Look...
    Switch your insurance and make sure you are covered on the car. Then drive it the 15 miles up the road! You will be the most unlucky person in the world to meet a garda checkpoint in that space of time. If you do just explain the situation and decent guard should let you off.... Remember you are moving the car from a to b to get it "fixed" up...

That's how i'd handle the situation, infact done the same myself quite often.... Infact will be doing so tomorrow. Same as yourself moving a car to get it fixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

most insurance company's will not pay out if you are not taxed or nctd as the car is not road worthy! Personally i would risk it! but if its not been used in 3 years god knows what could be wrong with it for the sake of the money tow it

Theanswers wrote: »
    Look...
    Switch your insurance and make sure you are covered on the car. Then drive it the 15 miles up the road! You will be the most unlucky person in the world to meet a garda checkpoint in that space of time. If you do just explain the situation and decent guard should let you off.... Remember you are moving the car from a to b to get it "fixed" up...

That's how i'd handle the situation, infact done the same myself quite often.... Infact will be doing so tomorrow. Same as yourself moving a car to get it fixed up.

You could also get a guard having a bad day - 6 points and a thousand euro fine for no NCT.

And the car confiscated - so you will end up paying for towing and storage in the long run.

Like you said though, you'd want to be unlucky in the first place, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If nothing else then the tyres could be in dodgy condition, greatly increasing your chances of an accident.
    Get it towed for your own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

Seperate wrote: »
    Tow truck - should only be 60/70eur if only 15miles.

Whatever about transfering the insurance, you can't drive it with no NCT/Tax.

wow 60 /70 euro add a bit to that, more like 160 to 200 euro.
    the only cost effective way is tow it , with trailer lights on a A frame. you can hire an A frame for 30 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

the only cost effective way is tow it , with trailer lights on a A frame. you can hire an A frame for 30 ?

You can get a car moved anywhere in dublin for 30 euro plus vat.Think there was an ad on done deal or something like that.

I have had many car's lifted and haven't paid over 50 euro for a lift in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But even if it is being towed isn't it still on the road and legally required to have tax/insurance/nct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

No it's classed as a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i am sure you are wrong there....surely.:eek:

• Advertisement

You're being had if you're paying anything over 60/70 to get a truck to move a car 20 miles or less. It'd want to be from one side of the country to the other for 200eur!!

Seperate wrote: »
    You're being had if you're paying anything over 60/70 to get a truck to move a car 20 miles or less. It'd want to be from one side of the country to the other for 200eur!!

20 miles in a taxi is 35 euro . you telling me its just a little bit more expensive to hire a tow truck , experienced tow operator plus fuel and insurance . trust me you wont get much change out of 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

20 miles in a taxi is 35 euro . you telling me its just a little bit more expensive to hire a tow truck , experienced tow operator plus fuel and insurance . trust me you wont get much change out of 200 euro.

I got a car towed about 25 miles a couple of years ago and paid €50.

Ring a couple of local recovery companies and get prices.

barry81 wrote: »
    I got a car towed about 25 miles a couple of years ago and paid €50.

Ring a couple of local recovery companies and get prices.

this guy is 1 of the cheapest ok , this price is for less than a mile , they charge by the mile there after .

Richie Hurt 24 hr Car Recoveryrecovery What We Do Photo Gallery Calendar Blog what it costs contact us Hurts Recovery Web Store ** * * * *No*Nonsense Good Value Fully Insured**Service At this stage you have most likely contacted lots of other 24hr car accident breakdown service providers , And you are with out doubt wondering why the cost of your vehicle recovery or collection/delivery is so expensive ???, With us you are going to save money and thats for sure.
    **OUR RATES START AT ?80**

What we quote you is what you pay no hidden extras that is our*guarantee* **We are keeping our rates for recovery Low, *We are fully*licensed and* Insured to*operate our vehicles Nationwide, We are proud of our Quality of service ,We have dry storage*facilities for over 30 cars, We provide a complete door to door service throughout the Country, We also provide a collection / delivery service to and from the UK and thats also door to door on a weekly basis,Our 24hr Accident Breakdown service vehicles will take your vehicle and up to 6 passengers to your destination, Now that you have come to view our site, why not contact us for a*quote * email richiehurt@gmail.com or on any of the numbers below24hrs * * **Call * 0876505700 *Or *0877576955*** *You Get *Lot More For Your Euro With Us** * * ** *WE WILL NOT BE BEATEN ON PRICE** * * **Hurts Take The Pain Out Of Recovery*

point proved i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

What I'D do is get my mate to drive a few minutes in front of me to tip me off if there's any checkpoints on the way... Would be very unlucky to get caught... Thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'd need an EB licence to do this. No EB no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

most insurance company's will not pay out if you are not taxed or nctd as the car is not road worthy!
    Oh. Dear. Dog. Not this inaccurate chestnut yet again... :(

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

this guy is 1 of the cheapest ok

Blah, Blah, Blah.

point proved i feel.

You know, I'm sure I've been sending stuff all over the city for the past couple of years on breakdown trucks for under €80. If memory serves me correct, I'm having something picked up in Ballsbridge this morning and brought to the office and it's costing less than the €200 quid you were telling us to trust you that it would cost. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jimbo19162

I would say ya need a tow truck for this one . I could be wrong im not a mechanic but as far as i know if the car has been lying up for 3 years id say the tyres might need replacing if theyve cracked etc or the brakes maybe or brake fluid changed etc even just take your time around the house of where ya have to collect it to make sure everything goes and stops ok again im no mechanic so perhaps someone might be able to advise ya further on this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

most insurance company's will not pay out if you are not taxed or nctd as the car is not road worthy!

Incorrect on both counts:
    1).. you cannot tax a car without insurance, you have to insure it first.

2).. NCT is not a legal statement of roadworthiness and has zero effect on your insurance - this is why they still use assessors to look at all damage claims. If your car has an NCT, and is deemed unroadworthy by the assessor, they won't pay out. NCT has nothing to do with it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Michael 09 wrote: »
    What I'D do is get my mate to drive a few minutes in front of me to tip me off if there's any checkpoints on the way... Would be very unlucky to get caught... Thats just my opinion

He could get pulled over. The good owl ANPR would be on a field day in the patrol car.

I would transfer the insurance over for an hour or so and drive it up. That depending on the condition of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Swap insurance onto it & drive it carefully to destination. Get fax cover from the inurance company stating the times that you have it changed over for. If you did meet a checkpoint. At least showing this to a garda would prove that you are not bullsh1ting & you really are only moving the car on a one off.

In relation to not being covered by insurance without nct or when not in roadworthy condition - Once you have a policy, they are bound to pay all third party claims even if car was found to be a **** heap. So basically you are insuranced regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Or tow it....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement