Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some advice and help on changing my car?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

Need a little bit of advice and help as to what road to pursue with my current dillema.
    I took out a personal loan o. A 03 Peugeot 307 In 2007.
    I stll have 2 yrs payments left on it at approx 190 a month.
    Today my worst fears were confirmed that the head gasket has has gone, and combined with a nice scape MrsG gave it, the mechanics gave given me a quote if between a grand and fifteen hundred.
    My wife drives the car not me, but recently we have discussed hanging it, as the car had a few ver minor faults, but still annoying! Changing bulbs became a monthly occurunce for starters!
    Now, the same garage who do my repairs have a lovely 06passat and when I enquirer about it today the garage man said 10'950 would take it away (42k miles on the clock and it's TDI)
    should I try and do trade in with him, should i repair the car and sell it on in 2 yrs and start afresh with new finance deal or loan?
    Or do any of the scrappage deals apply to my car, and if so do these apply to second hand cars, or brand new motors only?

Very confused, and want to make right choice for long term!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why not just repair the engine and ignore the scrape?

Surely the head gasket will only cost 400 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sound to me like you want rid of the Peugeot so why not see what he'll give you on a trade in?

Actually, another thread on here mentioned a new service on www.cbg.ie where you can post your trade in and see what the dealers will offer you on various cars - could well be worth a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    why not just repair the engine and ignore the scrape?

Surely the head gasket will only cost 400 or so?

Mechanic reckoned rad needed flushed, wholevhead to be taken off and skimmed, also said timing belt would due to be replaced?

I'd be fairly mechanicaly minded (after Market commecrial spare salesman) but would be first to admit I'm no genius when it comes to cars, so am relying in the mechanic. (I should add mechanics a friend of family so doubt he'd fleece me)

what I'm wondering though is if these scrappage deals would cover me, and if they apply to me wanting to buy a second hand car?

If not, is it worth while doing the deal with him, as in a plus he knows how food condition the car was kept as he did the work!
    On negative might he offer me a bad deal if he's already scared me halfbto death with repair estimates?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Sound to me like you want rid of the Peugeot so why not see what he'll give you on a trade in?

Actually, another thread on here mentioned a new service on www.cbg.ie where you can post your trade in and see what the dealers will offer you on various cars - could well be worth a go!

Will give ghat a go!

Great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Scrappage only applies to new cars.

I can't see you getting too much value out of a trade in. Get a full quote on what the necessary repairs will cost and get them done. Hang onto the car til ur loan is repaid and start over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get a price from a different garage on replacing the head gasket as I get the feeling the garage maybe pushing up the price to point you towards buying the Passat. At €10,950 assuming including the 307 they are doing you no favors. I would also be very suspecting of a 4 year old diesel car with only 42k miles on the clock, that is suspiciously low for a Passat which is a popular a mile muncher.

Also even if you bought the Passat there is no guarantee that it will be anymore reliable than the car you currently have. 05/06 new shape Passats have known problems with faulty fuel pumps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Gucky wrote: »
    Will give ghat a go!

Great idea!

Be sure to lettuce know how you get on with that. Apparently sellers and dealers have been shifting cars this way but I would love to hear impartial opinions based on experience.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Get a price from a different garage on replacing the head gasket as I get the feeling the garage maybe pushing up the price to point you towards buying the Passat. At €10,950 assuming including the 307 they are doing you no favors. I would also be very suspecting of a 4 year old diesel car with only 42k miles on the clock, that is suspiciously low for a Passat which is a popular a mile muncher.

Also even if you bought the Passat there is no guarantee that it will be anymore reliable than the car you currently have. 05/06 new shape Passats have known problems with faulty fuel pumps, etc.

Apologies, should have mentioned earlier. He said 10'950 before I even mentioned trade in, so let's assume he allows me 3.5 - 4k for Peugeot, that would be say 6 grand we'd need to find to pay him.

As I've said, he is a friend of family, but ultimately he is a business man after all, and as my da would say trust no one whn monies involved

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Gucky wrote: »
    Apologies, should have mentioned earlier. He said 10'950 before I even mentioned trade in, so let's assume he allows me 3.5 - 4k for Peugeot, that would be say 6 grand we'd need to find to pay him.

As I've said, he is a friend of family, but ultimately he is a business man after all, and as my da would say trust no one whn monies involved

I'd doubt you will trade up from a 03 Peug 307 with a blown head gasket to a 06 Passat TDi for €6k to be honest.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt you will trade up from a 03 Peug 307 with a blown head gasket to a 06 Passat TDi for €6k to be honest.

No, I said that leaves me 6k to fund as I have a few bob I can put towards car myself.
    So if he's saying 10'950 I could prob get him down to 10k or so.
    Now the minimum. Absolute minimum I woukdvtake for Peugeot in current state would be three grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement